Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

C# Learning Curve

Dan -- KC4GO
Dan -- KC4GO Member
edited November 2016 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have taken on the task of learning C# and playing with the API. This is mostly for knowledge not looking to pin a major application. Some getting started advise would be great. My background is self taught VB6 and several software packages for the Cellular industry in the 90's. Currently taking the online course @ https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/ .
Thanks and Happy Holidays 
Dan --- KC4GO
kc4go@arrl.net

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Dan,

I will be glad to help in anyway I can.  You can ping me on email with questions: ws7m@arrl.net and I'll do what I can to answer.

As far as advice here is what I have:

1) Don't try to learn all of C# and .NET at once.   Try to figure out what you need to do based on your application desires and needs.

2) Use google.  Try to formulate what it is you are needing into a question and search for it.  There are tons of examples out there on the net.  And don't hesitate to ask me or someone on this forum.  In my opinion there is no **** question.

3) I'd also recommend pluralsight.com.  They have video based learning courses that are really very good.

4) Lastly, break everything down into the smallest possible piece you can and write a test program or code to try and solve that piece.  IE to build say a Flex control application using the API I'd think if you ended up with 10 or 20 little test programs that started first with radio discovery and ramped up to the point where one of them was actually controlling the radio, that's far better than trying to do everything in one code base.  After you've gotten through them then you start on your real code pulling from your tests.

Just my 2c

Mark - WS7M
  • James Whiteway
    edited December 2015
    I think using the training courses at Microsoft is a very good idea. I'm not certain, but, I think there is one to help you learn your way around Visual Studio as well. That makes using tutorials much easier. The latest version 2015, is very nice, but can be a bit intimidating to use if you have not used earlier versions of Visual Studio. As Mark suggested, start simple and work your way up slowly to whatever your ultimate goal might be. It's fun and very addicting too! (not to mention frustrating at times) James WD5GWY
  • Nigel
    Nigel Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Hey Dan, good luck in your endeavors.  If you have not used API's i would probably be tempted to try a smaller system to get to grips with C.  I would suggest and Arduino board for starters.

Trouble with jumping in to API programming or usage is not knowing what you should already know and probably more important what to ask.

But hey we all had to start somewhere. 

Props,
    Nigel - G0JKN

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.