Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Horizontal Line for AGC-T

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
In order to make AGC-T easier to understand and to adjust I propose that there be a temporary or optional horizontal line representing the threshold inflection point for AGC-T Wine I am an engineering nerd I would love it to be represented in numeric dBm.

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It has been working so well for most. What is wrong with moving it left till the noise starts to decrease, as Ken pointed out. does that not work anymore?
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I still proclaim that AGC-T is backwards. The threshold is increasing as the slider is decreased. 

(Assuming this is really adjusting the threshold)

I still think it's adjusting the RF gain into the ADT. At least that's how it acts. 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    That works, but it would help people visualize the threshold if there were a line, perhaps just in the Receive filter bar that corresponds to the AGC-T setting.    I like this idea simply because I am a visually oriented person and like to see things move when I adjust various controls.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I too am very visual. The line would help people conceptualizer what they are doing. And prevent the obvious confusion that people like Steve had.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Please click Like at the top of the page
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I wasn't confused. The crazy AGC-T slider works backwards. 
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    A line sounds like a worthy addition -  will add my vote

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    A high-powered cat like you should be referred in dBW
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Remember those rigs that used to have AGC meters like the Drake 2B and hundreds of others? You reduce RF gain, watch the S meter go up and set it for your desired AGC threshold. Pretty advanced eh?
  • WBB
    WBB Member
    edited April 2019
    Yep Same for Squelch Horizontal line representatives threshold
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Steve I'm with you on the AGC threshold but as for me I don't want the S-Meter to follow AGC like the old radios even my Orion used to do this until they updated the software to allow the user to change the meter response time. I want the S-meter to show the actual signal at the ANT input not post AGC.

KC2QMA/John

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I hear ya John but what's the difference? 
    I doubt if the "S meter" in SmartSDR is attached to the antenna :*)
    I suspect it goes through a complex process to generate that little bar graph.
    AGC is not really a voltage controlling stage gain either. 
    Actually all I want is for the meter to settle down so I can read it. For example: When I look at the meter on a conventional radio the needle "floats" around a certain spot and I can easily give a report such as "you're 10db over 9 OM.
    With Ssdr, the meter jumps up and down so fast that it's impossible to tell what's happening unless it's a  stead carrier....
    The term "averaging" comes to mind. 
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes My Ten Tec Orion II also has a meter that moves so fast it's hard to read. TT said they would be adding the ability to adjust the meter action in the next software update to give a bit more averaging. I believe it will have 4 options as I recall Fast, Med, Slow & track AGC.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    BTW i am currently using the free add-on meter from woodbox radio. This is an analog style meter and allows you to adjust the Up & Down time it also has a peek hold option.

Here is a link to the meter. http://www.woodboxradio.com/flex6000.html scroll down the page.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Howard,
    Here is a mockup from the AGC-T idea I submitted year or so back.

It includes both the LINE and 2 options to also show the NUMERIC value.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/add_preamp_and_agc_status_to_the_panadapter_bar

AND/OR ADD the value to the slider

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm not sure I understand the analogy here.... you want a visual line for the AGC-T that you set by ear....  seeing a line  is not going to change what your ear is hearing.... But hey what do I know...I'm just a retired carpenter. and not nearly as smart as an engineer...hihi
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Huh? Well then let's do away with the entire screen.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Since the programmers won't help...Maybe the mechanics can implement this---
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFaLPuKkyAE
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes now you can see and hear where the AGC-T will kick in.
    Makes sense to me.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I like option 2. Especially the dBm reading
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Actually a lot of us are more visual than audible ...I know I am.. If there were a visible line I likely would set it somewhere above the noise floor. With practice, I am sure that I could get to set it much quicker visually than I could ever do by ear.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    #2 would be preferred for me. I like the visual display of AGC-T, however, from the get go it's slider operation came across as very intuitive for me.
  • KD4HSO
    KD4HSO Member
    edited February 2017
    How about a marker on the S-meter that show post AGC signal level.  Sort of like the peak marker on the TX input level. 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    OK, so being a software geeky type, why is it a control at all? I certainly understand in the vintage 1930 era radio state of the art, one had to manually set it. This is software right, generation 3 SDR. If there is a known calculatable set point just do it in software and free up some desktop real estate. Serious question, not being snarky...well not totally.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015

As I see it, the SDR does most the work where the previous models the computer did the work. I can see it shifting the other way as computers get faster and the communication stays on Ethernet. It will be interesting to see where this all eventually gravitates.

Jim, K6QE

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    While I would love to have an automatic option, I would not like to see the control eliminated altogether. Depending upon my purpose and the band conditions, I set the threshold to different positions. When rag chewing, I have it set a little further to the left of the sweet spot in order to have a little more quiet background. When DXing I might set it right at it, or a little to the right, depending upon band conditions. Perhaps in "auto mode" the control could adjust the set point +- in relation to the "knee" rather than against an absolute level?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hmmm. I clearly missed at least one of your posts Ken. Should it be set to the knee or to the start of the declined. I thought the writeup was to adjust the slider right to left until the volume just starts to decrease. I've noticed the knee, where volume precipitously falls off, is perhaps a quarter inch further to the left.

I've really been trying to figure out why WNB doesn't work for me. After having been severely admonished by mgmt I've not been participating in the conversations about it not working.

In XPSSDR I moved all controls not essential off the main viewing surface.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I agree with Walt. If the optimum set point can be calculated in software then just set it. Perhaps modify the slider to move up or down from the calculated set point so users have the ability to make changes. This would let most of us leave it alone and those that like to tweek...well, tweek.

Jon
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    To clarify my earlier comment about trying to determine why wnb doesn't work for me my working theory had been I wasn't setting agc-t correctly. It doesn't escape notice,howerever, that is blaming the consumer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.