Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW on SSB modes

Bob N7ZO
Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas

With the recent sporadic E openings on 6 meters, I find I miss a feature I had on my K3 which is the ability to transmit CW while in USB mode.  Currently, with the 6700, I have to change the mode to CW and drag the frequency up 600 Hz (or use XIT).  By then it is often too late to make the contact due to the fast QSB on 6 meters and certainly destroys the fluidity of mixing CW and SSB as needed in a QSO.   On the K3 while in USB mode (with CW on SSB enabled) I just have to start keying and the tone is put at the correct CW pitch for those listening in SSB mode.  Is this being considered for the 6000 series?

32 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Have you considered having a second panadapter open, with one for CW, the other for SSB? Switching is a snap. Plus, it gives you the ability to keep an ear on (example) 50.125 SSB while snagging a new grid on 50.100 CW.

• Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019

6-meter DX needs a USB/CW easy switch between modes.  It is very common for DX stations to run a breakable CW beacon while there is no apparent opening.  Then, depending on signal strength, one needs an extremely easy way to switch between USB and CW wherein the CW tone doesn't change between modes.  This is universally expected.

Anyone who suggests otherwise hasn't spent any serious time chasing 6-meter intercontinental DX.

• Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi George and Mike,

Why the need to switch between modes or run multiple slices?  (I understand George's technique is a work-around I'll have to try.)  With "CW on SSB" enabled, effectively both modes are active at the same time.  Press PTT and the mike is open.  Use the keyer and CW is sent (with the proper offset so that the tone is heard properly by those listening on SSB).  No other switching is needed.  The only extra button press that may be needed is to shut off the beacon keyer for Mike's application
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I like this Idea!  Especially on 6 Meters or when using a transverter on higher bands.
    It could also be useful in allowing CW ID-ing on my 80/40 rag-chew nets!
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken, on the K3, the CW does not work while PTT is pressed.  That is a limitation.  I think the "CW on SSB" should mix right in with your voice if you happen to key while talking.  That would be ideal for your application.  Just set the CW keyer to a 10 minute ID repeat and forget about it.  Another improvement on the K3 implementation would be the ability to set the CW carrier level relative to your voice so that the CW IDing could be less intrusive during a rag-chew net.
  • philip.theis
    philip.theis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    This user story has been entered and I'm sure we'll get it some day.
    It is valuable as Mike says especially on VHF and up

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good idea, Bob.  I hadn't thought of that!
    If I could set my CW ID to about 10 watts when I am running 100 SSB, that would be just about right.  But that is a secondary usage.  The main idea is that I would love to be able to simply hit the keyer paddles (or computer keyboard) and send CW while working a weak one on 6 Meters.  I have never owned a rig that could do that, except for having an external sound card program hooked up to a second audio input and sending MCW.
  • Mike
    Mike Member
    edited July 2014
    Bob and the rest: CW on SSB is mostly a VHF thing. On VHF, object is to work a station any way possible. When calling a station on SSB, and one can't make it, one can switch to CW on the same frequency. On many radios, switching to CW will send CW on the carrier freq, and the other station won't hear it as it is zero beat with his carrier, plus you would have to switch back to SSB to hear the other station. If, on SSB, the transmitter could be modulated with the CW sidetone, it should work just fine. If such a feature was added, it should be normally off, as it has little application on HF. --Mike, WV2ZOW
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Having both the K-3 and the KX-3  this CW active function is just sweet .>>>>>>>

2 slices just doesn't cut it . Sorry for that .

I absolutely vote for this . 

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

I like George proposal.

I setup the F6.7 on 6 meter with 4 or more slices. 

I open one slice on 5.0 to hear and see the beacons, 50.1 for CW, 50.125 for SSB, 50.276 for Digital, etc...

I am just one mouse (TX) click away from operating in any portion of the band or mode.  

I must add  a K3 does not have that ability or capability to cover that amount of spectrum.

If the band opening is that marginal, the chances of you working/not working that station are slim to none.

I just fail to understand why are they buying Flex radios?  If your K3 etc. can do so much more; Why change?

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    hello The function of having CW active with SSB is a great function. And yes the K3 kx-3 has this ability. This is why I would actively request for Flex to have this ability. Since I can compare both Flex suggestion fix " Like adding another slice" I can actually tell you that it is not as functional. I am not wishing or thinking I am basing the request on reality . On a personal preference note : I did not like / appreciate the K-3 However the KX-3 is a totally impressive radio. Sherwood did not rate it as #2 because of the size . So for me I am extremely fortunate to have both worlds . Is having CW active in SSB a good reliable, usable, versatile , function Yes . I again vote for this to happen .
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Excellent!  As a 6 Meter operator I will be glad to see it.
  • Ken - VE5KC
    Ken - VE5KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I'm looking forward to this being added!

I had this in both my TS-590S and FTdx300 rigs.. We have some nets that run on SSB but accept check ins in SSB & CW. At at times when conditions are poor and I can't be heard on SSB it is very handy to be able to quickly change to CW TX.

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    My FT 2000 could do this and it was very handy. It would be a benefit at times to switch over without opening a new slice. I hope this is taken seriously.   73, Jim
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    James, please add your like to this conversation.  The more likes, the more seriously this will be taken.
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I support this idea too - I am active on 4m and 6m with my 6300 and 6500 - on  my icom ic7400 there is a menu option to enable right shift when you change from ssb to cw and back and the same facility was on my pro 3. I use it a lot in contests on 4m and 6m and 2m and for dxing on those bands.
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

If this becomes available please make it an option.  While I can understand the need I wouldn't want it to be active all the time.

Thanks,

Keith

AC9S

• Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Again, just to make sure this is clear:  We are not talking about changing over from SSB to CW and back, even with the correct shifts as in Steve's IC-7400.  This proposal is CW simultaneously with SSB.  No switching.  No additional slices.  Press PTT and get the mike.  Operate the key and get CW at the proper pitch so that those listening on SSB can hear it.  Or do both together.  Very fluid and great for working in strong and fast QSB as is experienced on 6 meters and above.

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I've seen this used with an SSB contact to assist the ending of a QSO as the band was fading out.
    As I was deciding if I wanted to become a ham, my future Elmer used this technique to professionally end a trans-Pacific QSO from Oregon to Japan.  I instantly understood how CW could augment and aid a voice  conversation.  That demonstration helped me decide to overcome my reluctance to learn CW and study to get my ham ticket.  This is a great idea. (IMHO)
    Ted
    NX6C

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Now there are three.  With 1.5 I would like to be able to (Automatically?) switch between CW SSB and/or RTTY. For example on FD 2M call CW in all three languages and respond/log in whichever mode answers.
  • James Del Principe
    edited September 2015
    It was a menu option on the FT 2000 but I kept it active all the time.   If you don't wish to use it, just don't hit the key. A drop down selection would be great.
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi James, thanks for the like on my comment above, but I think, to get consideration from Flexradio on the idea, you have to like the whole idea conversation using the big like box at the top of the page.

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Same on the K3, it was a menu option, but buried deep under several button presses and knob spins.  Not very fast to get to. (A common problem with options on conventional knobbed radios.)  So I just left it on and was aware that touching the key would transmit.  Not really any different than how you treat the key in CW mode.
  • James Del Principe
    edited September 2015
    Hi Bob. I'm still new at this so each day is a learning experience. I found the big "LIKE" button at the top and gave it a hearty 'click'.    Hope this helps. 73, Jim
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That did it.  I hope it helps too.  I really enjoy the Flex 6700, but miss not having this feature.
  • James Del Principe
    edited September 2015
    Exactly my point. No problem in leaving this on.    Let's hope it's in a future release.
  • Ken K7YR
    Ken K7YR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    This feature would be great.

We participate in CW practice on 3970 each day.  By combining the CW and SSB operation at the same time we are able to teach, correct, ask questions and guide those who wish to learn and improve their speed and accuracy.

I have been able to get by using two slices muting the CW slice and selecting the correct offset. , but of course I need to select one or the other mode to transmit.  It would be wonderful to accomplish this without this workaround solution.

Ken
  • James Del Principe
    edited March 2018
    Ken, can you give details on your CW practice?   73, Jim
  • James Del Principe
    edited September 2015
    I also used it to tweek my amplifier.......into a dummy load, of course.  Save lots of 'clicks'.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.