Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Dirty distorted transmit signal

After upgrading to v1.5 my carrier (tune) signal is very distorted and when transmitting audio i'm seeing audio on both side-bands on the pan adapter. 
Reverting back to v1.4 solves the issue and no distortion at all.
Flex 6300 
v1.4.16.63  Clean signal
v1.5.0  corrupted signal

FYI I totally uninstalled v1.4 before updating to v1.5
tried several times installing then uninstalling each version with the same results.
I can e-mail screen shots if needed (not seeing an upload function here) 

Comments

• PAØGDW
    PAØGDW Member
    edited October 2015
    Hello George..
    I had exact the same problem !   ... with V1.5.
    VERY distorted SSB Transmit signal all over the Pan adapter with my Flex 6300 and also on AIR !!!
    but sometimes it is good...after clicking on the transmit button...you could see in the Panadapter  if its bad or good....must be a software fault...

I have a new Windows 10 PC with an Intel I7 and 8 Gb Ram... was working fine with the older V1.4.11.60..
    same V1.5 problem with a Panasonic Windows 10  Notebook N700 with Intel I 5 etc.. !

I have tried everything....Hard reset....removing old Smart SDR 1.4.16 with Revo Uninstaller..etc..
    same problem..
    Going back to Version V1.4.11.60 ...everything OK !

73 Gerben PA0GDW
  • Roger Sjölin
    Roger Sjölin Member
    edited September 2015
    I had the same problem with my 6300 but I did a full reset and that solved it.
    /Roger SA0AND
  • PAØGDW
    PAØGDW Member
    edited October 2015

Ok Roger...
    i did the same Full reset....and then it was working fine...
    but the next day...same problem...

this fault is not consistent..!

• Roger Sjölin
    Roger Sjölin Member
    edited September 2015
    Yes Its the same for me now. Hope we will get an official answer soon.

• PAØGDW
    PAØGDW Member
    edited December 2019

Ok Roger and George..

are you using Windows 10 ? is important i think to know...

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Looking for a common condition, could the TURF file have an impact?

It is something the USA based hams won't have installed (and they do not seem to have the same audio problem).

Steve K9ZW

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi All, lets try to switch off Weighted Average, I assume you will get surprise
  • George Moranian
    edited April 2020
    Using Windows 10 here.
    Live in New Hampshire, USA

George
    N1NAZ
  • PAØGDW
    PAØGDW Member
    edited October 2015
    Ok George..tnx...
    i will try to setup another PC WITH Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits.... let you know tomorrow...

and Sergey..normally WEIGHTED AVERAGE is OFF....but i am not sure with the new V1.5... i will try that also..  tnx fr reply....
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well, this is switcher in my case make sense, then ON plenty of hiccups will started on PAN

also I am recognized issues with Profiles - solution delete all, completely radio reset and make a new profiles for all again
  • Roger Sjölin
    Roger Sjölin Member
    edited September 2015
    I am using windows 10.
  • Roger Sjölin
    Roger Sjölin Member
    edited September 2015
    I have opened a case in Helpdesk for this issue.

• George Moranian
    edited April 2020
    Thanks Roger
  • PAØGDW
    PAØGDW Member
    edited April 2020
    Ok..i have tested the V1.5 with a third PC here...a Dual Core Intel with Windows 7 Ulimate 32 bits...
    exact the same problem !!
    several Soft and Hard Resets....same distorted TX signal all over the band...so i am back to the previous V1.4.16..is working fine on all my 3 PC,s and Laptops...

I hope the Flexradio Ingineers are investigating this BIG problem  !!

i have made several screenshots of it.... click on it to ENLARGE !
    the first Picture is with only 5 watts on 80m  LSB modulated...
    the second Picture is a 5 watt TUNE signal ...

the fisrst oneimage
    73 Gerben PA0GDW
  • George Moranian
    edited September 2015
    Usually they are on top of this community forum and they reply with some kind of acknowledgment pretty quickly, not this time however.

George N1NAZ
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Gerben, did you make Radio Reset ? 
  • Ross W8TZ
    Ross W8TZ Member
    edited September 2015
    I have the same problem with my 6300. I am also running Windows 10. So far I have seen this happen twice since the upgrade to V1.5. The cure is to shut down SmartSDR, turn off 6300, turn off power supply, wait a minute and restart everything. Both times this has happened the radio, computer and 12 volt supply had all been off over night. This issue shows up after booting up the computer and starting the radio.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You can add me to the list as well... I am seeing the same issue.. to clear I simply shutdown SmartSDR 1.5, power down the radio (Flex-6300), power up the radio and start SmartSDR and everything is back to normal..  Windows 10...  Where I first noticed this is in WSJT-X..
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I need to be added to the list of affected stations on 1.5.   As stated before, the problem is inconsistent.  I never get bad audio reports but over the last 2 days with 1.5 I've gotten several unsolicited bad audio reports.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Looking at Windows 10 to explain is a red Herring. The computer operating system is only involved in converting user request entered via the GUI to TCP commands sent to the radio and sending the UDP packets to the GUI for display.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Let me add a bit of sauce to the discussion.  I have experienced this issue on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Mac OS X (El Capitan).  The problem has occurred while operating both  1.5 SmartSDR and the current Beta of DogParkSDR using an upgraded 6300 (with SmartSDR 1.5 installed in the 6300).
    The issue sounds suspiciously like a radio/server side issue.  Obviously the good engineers at Flex Radio will figure out the genesis of the problem and fix it.

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Remember too, upgrading to ssdr 1.5 also upgraded the radio to 1.5. Strictly speaking the connotation of smartsdr refers to the user interface running on Windows. To my knowledge, the name of the software running under Linux inside the black box remains unnamed. It is that piece, I believe, Jay is referring to.
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Are you all seeing this on Voice and other modes?
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    It is exactly what I'm referring too.  There is a (for lack of a better way of putting it) server side code that runs within the radio and not on the Windows SSDR client.  I have no other way of enumerating that release other than call it SmartSDR 1.5.

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Both... I have seen it under JT-65 transmissions on WSJT-X, as well as a simple tune and voice transmissions...
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You guys need to see what you have in common, My audio is as good as ever still. There must be something you are using or doing I am not. If there are things in common then maybe it can be tracked down.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Bill... I normally do not see the issue start occurring until after a lengthy period of time and a simple reboot of the Flex Radio and restarting the SmartSDR 1.5 program resolves it, until another extended period of time operating or not.  I would assume that if you do not leave your radio on for extended periods you may never see the issue.  I also did not see this until after the upgrade to Version 1.5 which also required a Radio upgrade as well...  Where it first showed was after I left the radio on and SmartSDR on while trying to catch traffic on a MARS frequency, no transmissions involved.  After several hours I flipped over to WSJT-X, hit tune and saw the issue.
  • Marco
    Marco Inactive Employee
    edited May 2016
    Thank you for the screenshots. I'm trying to reproduce it.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I wonder if it might help to note the temperature.   After 6 hours on, my 6500
    does not show the problem.  DDUTIL says temp. = 33 C.

Ned,  K1NJ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.