Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

USB D-STAR BOARD

Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am curious about the USB DSTAR BOARD in testing now.  Does anyone have any comments about it?  Does or will the software allow the "my call, ur call, repeater 1, and repeater 2" fields or will this be a simplex only product?  One way or the other Flex will be getting more of my money :-)  73 and tnx  Lawrence KB5ZZB

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    NDA
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Very interesting, I wonder if it will work with a transverter?

Jon...kf2e
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I see the NW ThumbDV is now offered for sale on the Flex Website.   SSDR V 1.5 must be close to release? 

Cal / N3CAL
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Fingers crossed!  That would be nice!

Cal / N3CAL
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    edited February 2017
    I got one on order.  To be a fly on the wall at the Huntsville Hamfest
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just ordered my ThumbDV, love DSTAR.
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    edited March 2017
    My hope would be to be able to use this through the D-star repeater network.  Modulation is just the 1st step.  We need to be able to manipulate and send the "my call" "ur call" "repeater 1" "and "repeater 2" fields.  Thanks to the Flex and NWDR folks for getting us this far!
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Very cool! Good to see the USB port get some love.
    Is there much HF D-Star operation? Any tips/suggestions?

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    We have an application that runs alongside SmartSDR that allows entry of the callsign data
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks!

• Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    edited December 2016
    Wow. Sounds great. Can't wait!
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Can someone comment on weather this will work on a 6500 with a transverter for 2m or 70cm?

Jon...kf2e
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ordered.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    Yes it will
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Is this "ThumbDV   AMBE3000"  the proper device to order?  One orders direct and not via FRS?

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I ordered mine from Flex:  http://cart.flexradio.com/ThumbDV_p_939.html
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Robbie, couldn't find that link.   Much appreciated...

Tim

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Howard, I was going to mention that and then thought, why bother.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Fantastic!  Just ordered a ThumbDV!
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Will that app be open sourced?
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    It's been a while since I messed with D-Star. Is there D-Star activity on HF or is this for Flex radios with transverters?
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    edited December 2016
    The way Steve explained it in an earlier post is that we will be able to manipulate the data in the "call sign fields" by means of an external program to SSDR.  If this is true and according to some earlier posts this should allow operation on the D-Star repeater network (gateway system)  To operate on the gateway system though you will need to register your callsign with your "home system"  When this is done a unique ip address is linked to your callsign.  This enables callsign routing and allows your data transmission out over the gateway system.  For HF only none of that is necessary.  I run a gateway system here in Nederland, TX (W5SSV)  If i can help any one with general D-Star questions i would be glad to do so, however my experience with my 6700 is still a little limited :-) 
  • Kent Hufford
    Kent Hufford Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015

International DSTAR HF Testing NetSUMMER Schedule

Use your ICOM 9100/7100, or STAR Boarded non ICOM DSTAR HF, or the THUMBDV on a FLEX.

We routinely have two way communications coast to coast and North to South, South to Canada, Europe and Australia. We have had two way contacts to Japan. And have been heard in South Africa.

We are on each band only for 2-5 min. or so as to spend less time, if the band is dead we move on earlier. You can go back to a good freq after the net.
    MONITOR REF030C to coordinate. WE may need to move early or if the freq is busy. We do not want to step on any AM or SSB activity.

We also use a web page to keep track of who and where we are at -     http://hf.dstar-relay.net/

You also can check-in to this web site anytime 24/7 to find a DSTAR HF Ham to talk to.

We will have a PRENET for 30 min. before the start of the scheduled time. This PRENET is for ‘FREE FORM” contacts. One should check the web site  http://hf.dstar-relay.net/  sign in and find a working freq to work on. When the net starts at the scheduled time, please join the net and follow the freqs.

We have a post-net (Hot Wash) at the end, on REF030C and report on our 1 way and 2 way contacts. This is done by the QUICK KEY method.

DSTAR HF VOICE SCHEDULE (SUMMER)

Sat PM 7:00 E (2300Z)

Sunday AM 10:00 E (1400Z Sunday)(Spend more time on each open band, and start on 80m)     

Sunday PM 7:00 E (2300Z)

Tuesday and Thurs night at 8:30pm E (0030Z Wed and Fri)

Check USB/LSB on freq to make sure the freq is clear.
    SUNDAY AM, we start with 80m and work towards 6 meters.

6 mtrs 51.180 DV for 2 mins

10 mtrs 29.480 DV for 2-5 mins

12 mtrs 24.938 DV for 2-5 mins

15 mtrs 21.380 DV for 2-5 mins

17 mtrs 18.148 DV for 2-5 mins

20 mtrs 14.325 DV for 2- 5 mins

40 mtrs 7.285(or another open freq) DV for 2- 5 mins

75 mtrs 3.880 DV for 5 mins Backup is around 3.725.

NCS will check the freq ahead of time to make sure we don’t step on anyone 3KC up and DOWN.

See how to do DSTAR HF with an ICOM at-   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGF-qkdoid4

"Digital voice is defined in the Commission’s rules as voice (i.e. phone), not data, per Section 97.3(c)(5) of the Rules." Check out the most recent comments by the ARRL:  http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7521063715

Kent

KQ4KK

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sorry to ask what must be a **** question but... will the USB D-Star dongle plug into the USB port on the RADIO or into the USB port on the HOST?

Peter
    K1PGV

• Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Radio

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.