Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Paying extra for updates to multiple Flex radios.

13»

Answers

• Neil
    Neil Member
    edited May 2019

Paying for a major update to the radio is not unreasonable, However I have a question, will the cost of a 6000 series radio with v2  cost 200 dollars more than a radio with v1, the reason I ask this is an early adopter may pay for 3 or 4 major releases (600 t0 800 dollars extra) whereas a late adopter may not have to pay for any

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    No.  Working as intended.  The earlier adopter got to enjoy the radio much longer, so they got what they paid for.   Does Microsoft charge more for a new computer that ships with windows 10 when it comes out?  No, you just get the newer version with the computer because it is the default option of the current version.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Actually, your FLEX-6000 each came with SmartSDR v1.x of which $199 of the price included SmartSDR.  When we are shipping SmartSDR v2, the same $199 will be a component of the total price of the radio hardware, so the cost of the radios will not increase as a consequence of 2.x being released.

And one way to look at it is a late adopter has missed out on the years of enjoyment not using a FLEX-6000.  I am not sure you can put a price on that.
  • Neil
    Neil Member
    edited July 2015

That was quick!!, thanks for the reply, one of the reasons for asking was that a "major" manufacturer a few months ago did an update to their mid range radio, tacked a couple of extra letters after the model no. and increased the recommended price by 200 or so dollars.

Neil

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    That sort of behavior is one of the "major" reasons that i was able to eliminate a lot of the "major" brands from my list, when I began purchasing Flexradio models. But, there is nothing "minor" about Flexradios. Unless a "minor" amount of "minor" software bugs, that get fixed when they are discovered, isn't a "major" factor. Which is the "major" reason I've purchased several Flexradio models.image
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

I will have a problem with the Fee if its charged BFEORE SSDR has Squelch, decent memory functions and a few other things that SHOULD already be there, there not upgrades, im still blown away no squelch ....... and the memory, I don't claim to be a programmer but I could put 10 memory buttons at the top of the windows in less then 2 hours even though ive not programmed in a few years, oh and the time display being locked into what someone person thinks is best is crazy .... options are to easy to add.

After we have the functions it should have started with and a update bakes the radio better in real good ways ill pay ..... Ive never liked so much and disliked so much a radio!

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    At this time you are not paying anything. The software features will be all done by V2.0. There are likely a few more releases till then. After V2.0 there will be no reason to purchase any upgrade unless you feel you need the added features it has. There is much more to programming the Flex than you know, It is very complicated. Everything they add or change effects a multitude of other things, then further testing is done on every change. So yes you may be able to add 10 memory buttons in only 2 hours as you claim, but what about all the things you break doing it? then what?
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Dave, SmartSDR has both squelch and memories.  Those came out in v1.4 months ago.  I would not commit that we will ever put 10 memory buttons on the front panel.  That is a design preference issue.  There is also a third part application called FRStack that adds a bunch of user features.  That is why we have an open API for developers to program to their heart's content.  Maybe you could brush off your programming skills and make whatever you want.  You can even write your own complete GUI on whatever language/OS you like.  Put whatever buttons you want on the front panel.  Others are doing that and having fun.  
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If one can afford three Flex radios, I don't see a problem with $600.00 per major revision.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    As long as you add the "make coffee" button
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Can we add toast to that?
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The latest release of frstack  addresses the request including a squelch for all modes.  That is one handy little program.

I really like the approach of keeping S-SDR straightforward  and uncluttered UI and a the same time allowing developers to add.  Hence users can pick N choose what to add w/o impacting S-SDR UI. 

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand some having resistance to using 3rd party apps.  I run 4 slices with 2 fldidig's, one for Wefax the other 14.070 Mc. Pactor, one for SWL and the other for 6M or MW.  Also Spectrum Lab, SDR Smeter,  etc are all playing nice-nice.

_..--

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I think separate programs like FRStack for this kind of functionality is the way to go.  I've been playing around with very low power computers.  I'm using a $120 1.3ghz 2 watt fanless quad core Atom with 2 gb ram and 32 gb eMMC hard drive running win8.1 that plugs into a HDTV monitor, actually the version I'm running will drive 2 monitors. 

It runs 2 panadapters and 3 slices of SSDR on the 6500 or 2 panadapters and slices on the 6300 remote perfectly with less than 50% typical utilization, 0 dropped packets and max latency of 3 ms, but if you start adding all kinds of "features" pretty soon I'll be out of resources.  I can add or subtract "features" (aka resources) at will according to my system and operating needs.  I keep FRStack under the SSDR window with just one edge exposed so if I click that edge it's virtually no different than clicking SSDR.  I'll pay the $200 just to keep the simple high performance un-junked-up interface we presently enjoy
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015

Sorry but memory is already setup, changing the way is displays is just to simple.

I have to ask how you know how much I know or dont know??????

• Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015

Sorry but having squelch in FM only isn't having squelch.

With Power SDR I changed the way several things worked, I enjoyed doing so and did so with little problems but nothing I overcome.

Memory ... the Memory button should be 1 click and visible on screen at all times, once a memory is selected the memory window should go away or make that an option at least.  Were talking less then an hours work.

Reason I have a problem is because these are such easily changed things .... Ill assume a update is coming very soon for that reason.

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Dave, the problem is that one man's hot button is another man's don't care.  There are many hundreds off items in the backlog and things are always getting added.  We have to prioritize those based on a business plan, finite resources, and broadest applicability.  You should go try FRStack to see if it meets your needs.
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015

I been self employed since I was 17, I totally understand that and im not asking for anything to be done my way, IF you tell me Squelch is very soon on that list im happy.

Was perfectely happy with memory in Power SDR, could it be better, yes but it didn't take me back to the stone age.

FRStack is fine im sure but SSDR is sooo close to being ok also.

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You can't compare an Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood to a Flex radio. That's like comparing a Cadillac to a Lamborghini. Come on lets get serious.
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015

I agree, I loved my 1500, love my 6000 even more even with its lacking...

But you miss the point, So your saying if you bought a Ford Pinto and it didn't have Windshield Wipers you would be ok.

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    It isn't the end - its the operator. I get this comparison all the time with people who salivate over say the K3, and wanting full legal limit,  when in fact the operator is the single most important part of the station.

I've sat at radios when in  context a person has told me that "this thing doesn't work!" and rattled off a hudred quick QSO's.

I've also created wall hanging art with a Diana camera,

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.