Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Where does "Remote Headphone" connect to?

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited May 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am trying to come up with he best solution to record both ends of my QSO's (please, no trolling), so I am thinking about all the possible audio connections. What exactly does the Remote Headphone device connect to? The Remote speaker connects to a sound driver in my computer, but I can't figure out where the Remote Headphone connects to in my computer (if it in fact connects to anything!).

So far until a better firmware solution is introduced I will have to turn on the monitor setting and use headphones so that feedback doesn't wreak havoc with my audio recording.

Anyone have a clue about Remote Headphone?

Roy, AC2GS

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    There is only one remote audio device where you can hear audio from the radio and that is the Windows default playback device.  There are not separate Windows playback devices for speakers and headphones.

I would like to understand exactly why you want to record both ends of a QSO at the same time so I have a better understanding what you want to accomplish.

• Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Okay, I am involved in a Technical Net, but I also record it for someone that posts them as archive files as a safety back up when his system malfunctions. The way I have it hooked together is fine as long as I don't talk on the TechNet itself. If I do, my copy just has gaps when I am transmitting.

I have other radios and antennas which I have tried to use for these recordings, but my local RF output invariably triggers their front end safety circuits and my transmission is again muted. If I use an attenuator I lose the repeater's signal.

I am sure that there are many other reasons that other people have for desiring the ability to record both sides of a QSO. My little IC-7100 will record my recieve and transmit audio in separate timestamped files onto an SD card, but I would prefer to use my Flex 6700.

Roy, AC2GS
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    When I "record' my digital QSOs I am able to record both sides... IF I use a simple video/audio capture program like Snagit AND use VAC. So I wonder if you can do the same for a phone contact if you allow the SDR software to facilitate DAX or VAC while in phone mode ?
    Andy K3UK
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Record on your second rig and put a relay activated by the rca key line on the flex that breaks the antenna on the rx rig when you transmit
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I see a bit of a problem with that idea. This is a recording from a repeater (perhaps I should have explained that further complication) - the transmit and receive signals are offset by 600 KHz. Close enough to overpower the front end sensors, but not close enough to receive and demodulate the nearby FM transmission 600 KHz away. I would have the exact same situation that I have now - everyone else's part of the conversation, but my own recorded, and some relays Jerry-rigged and clattering to no different effect...

I can conceive of more than one heavily kludged solution. I was hoping for something a bit simpler and more elegant...

Sometimes the 6700 reminds me of a very precocious five year old - capable of great things at such an early age, unable to do other things far more simple, right now, but with great promise to grow into an adult of incredible abilities, not yet even now fully imagined. A chance of developing into another Einstein or Hawking if we can just get thru the younger years...

Roy, AC2GS
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Mix 2 signals on a 2 channel mixer. You can buy one for 20 bux and you will have complete control over what you record. Simple elegant reliable.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Here's the simplest kludge I have come up with - Use headphones with "monitor" turned on, either split the headphone signal or use the powered speaker output port with a $15 USB audio in/out connector and record from that audio device onto my computer.

Someday it will be just a matter of clicking a software button on a future iteration of SSDR that says "record Tx also". That will be simple and elegant... some day... some day...

Roy, AC2GS
  • Kevin LaFata
    Kevin LaFata Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I've been playing around with a combination of Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) and Audacity. The solution I found is to have the slice output on Dax 1, and set up to VAC's as shown in the screenshot below. i.e. have Dax1 route to Line 1, and also your headset microphone route to Line 1. 

On Audacity, select Line 1 for your input and record from there.  Note that your headset mic will record whether you are transmitting or not though.

This method requires that you operate "remote" from SmartSDR and use your PC's audio an mic .

I don't think the PC itself has access to the front panel mic audio, unless there is something with the Monitor button that might work. I haven't had good luck with that in the past though.

though.image

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.