Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can the Flex 6500 connect safely to the AL-80B with out an interface?

KD4Y
KD4Y Member
edited October 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

Answers

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

From the AL-80B manual...

"Requires contact closure or sink of +12 Vdc at 100 mA"

From the Flex Manual...

"+40 VDC @ 140 mA maximum"

So yes, it should be safe to connect directly.

Jon...kf2e

• KD4Y
    KD4Y Member
    edited July 2015
    Thank You Jon!
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Working for nine months without a problem.
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yes.

Dan
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    FWIW...
    But the AL80B manual does not say that there is not an inductive kick from a relay coil.   Such a kick could easily go beyond 40vdc..  But I have don't have one nor do I have I access to the schematic to tell for sure.

AL, K0VM

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tim's response on another post

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

Official Response

Here is my advice.  Always use a buffer relay regardless of the amp.  It will be some of the best $40 insurance you ever buy for your radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.