Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

transverters-store.com 144-28 Transverter

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Anyone have any experience using this transverter with a FLEX?

http://transverters-store.com/144mhz.htm

It is $100 shipped, but you need to put it in a box with your own connectors and heat sink, etc.
It is Russian  or Ukrainian made, I think.

If they stink, does anyone have any better suggestions that won't break the bank?

Ken - NM9P

Answers

• Nick - W2NER
    Nick - W2NER Member
    edited June 2020
    Yes, I purchased one of them, great quality and it works great!  I would not hesitate. The one I purchased was for 220mhz but its basically the same board.  If I did not already have a 144mhz transverter, I would have purchased another one.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Nick.
    Am I correct that it doesn't include the heat sink?  How large does it need?  I have some here, but don't know if they are large enough, or too large...

Ken - NM9P
  • Nick - W2NER
    Nick - W2NER Member
    edited February 2015
    Yes thats correct.  The heat sink you need is very small, not more then 2x2x3/16.  I got an extruded alum case and used the case as the heat sink.  Worked out perfect. 
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Not with this one, but G4DDK has some transverter kits for sale on his website
    http://www.g4ddk.com/ and they are of good reliable quality made by someone who knows his business.

• Nick - W2NER
    Nick - W2NER Member
    edited February 2015
    I have a Ten-Tec 2 meter transverter like new works as it should for sale..
  • Nick - W2NER
    Nick - W2NER Member
    edited February 2015
    I also have a 220 transverter for sale as well.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Nick, What are you asking for the 2 meter transverter?  How does it's performance compare with the on on Transverters-store?
  • Nick - W2NER
    Nick - W2NER Member
    edited February 2015
    Make me a reasonable offer and its yours.

• Nick - W2NER
    Nick - W2NER Member
    edited February 2015
    Oh the Ten-Tec is leaps better then the transverter store IMO..  This is all set and ready to go, no building anything.
  • Nick - W2NER
    Nick - W2NER Member
    edited February 2015
    oh, its like brand new.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Is that your 1210 on Ebay?
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Yes it is
  • philip.theis
    philip.theis Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ken, first thing to consider is if the transverter has a single or dual port IF (I'm sure it's going to be 28MHz)
    If it has two ports, one for tx and the other for rx, you may want to consider looking inside and seeing if it is easily modified to single port.
    Another question, do you have other transverters?
    Single port is easiest to interface to the single port on the Flex.
    If it is dual port, and you don't want to modify the unit, then you will use a small relay to switch the single Flex XVTR port to the two ports on the transverter.
    Next thing to consider is the power level needed to drive the transverter; hopefully is will take low level input, this is most desirable.
    Last you will need to account for the PTT line.   If you are running only a single transverter then it will be simple.  For more that one transverter you may want to look into using the bias tee method to key PTT and let a single relay switch bands.
    Some food for thought.
    Congrats and welcome to the VHF world; some day when there is enhancement, we should be able to work.
    Phil K3TUF
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    All mind boggling to those not used to the transverter scene. Long learning curve needed
  • philip.theis
    philip.theis Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Not really; you aren't giving yourself enough credit.  It's fun.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Anybody have a finished transverter in the box? Website link or pictures would be most helpful.

Looking for Idea's.

Thanks,73 Jeff

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Down East Microwave has a lot of information. I seen some reference to Elecraft as well.
    http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/
    http://www.elecraft.com/XV/XV.htm
  • VA3AE
    VA3AE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    The inexpensive transverter works as shown here. 
    It isn't a super stable fancy high power, yada, yada, .... but it does work and for a hundred bucks it is a good deal.  If you have  lots of cash, buy a DEM unit, as they are very good.
    The one I just finished the other night receives over 10 MHz - This is with the preamp turned up to 20Db
    HTH,
    73 de va3ae
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Can you take some photos of the set up showing cabling and connections? Being new to transverters a picture is worth a lot. A screen shot of your Radio Setup XVTR setting would be helpful too.

This seems like a good solution for my first interest of have a way of getting on some 220 repeaters. Then exploring the other modes. Adding 2m and 70cm down the road and have it set up to use them remotely would ideal. One step at a time of course.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Refer to Chapter 10 in the FLEX-6000 Hardware Reference Manual
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The manual is good but seeing some actual photo of the transverter and the settings David has for his XVTR setup would still help me understand better.
  • VA3AE
    VA3AE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I've literally just finished the transverter and the radio nor any peripherals are in the rack-case yet.  For your edification, this is what it looks like on the bench.
    I will post more photos when thingsimageimage are complete in a week or two.
    Dave
  • VA3AE
    VA3AE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    And here's one of the innards...image
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This is great information. Thank you for taking the time.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    With all this transverter talk, I am wondering if anyone is selling 600m transverters with say 80m IF's  kits in the US ?
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Flex radios cover 600 M natively (472 khz) no need for transverter  It also covers 137 khz
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Its not for use with the flex 1500 but my other rig.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Not a USA offering but vk3xdk sells one.
    I started with a NE612 with 10MHz LO and 10 meg IF but now use Flex 1500 with filters and amp or a 6500 for 630M.

http://www.vk3xdk.net46.net/ de VK5 CV.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I did see that one, but the import duties + vat  make it a bit steep for my pocket. I can easily build one my the arthiritis is making it hard to build stuff nowdays.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015

Building filters and an amp for the Flex radios is the way to go. Then its all digital without the noise and distortion in older radios.

Andrew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.