Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote IPad Operation of 6000 series using Parallel Access App Updated April 24, 2015

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
It's almost a year since I last update my remoting via iPad presentation
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote_ipad_operation_of_6000_series_using_parallel...
and more than 2 years since I first started talking about how I did it..

I have now operated remotely my Flex's from 22 different countries and recently from 11,500' in WA3IHV's Centurion on the way back from Visalia DX Convention.  This has worked over 3G, 4G Cellular and WIFI but you need at least 2Mb/s data rates for a decent visual display.  Latency is 20ms local, 30-100ms National, 100-350ms International. 

I have operated from exotic places like Thailand, Vietnam and dive boats in Bali and Nevis as well as most Western European Countries and of course from my daughter's house in LA when we are babysitting and sitting in shoes stores in Paris waiting for the XYL to try on EVERY pair of shoes. Remoting gives you the freedom to be anywhere in the world and still enjoy ham radio without schelpping coax, radios, amps, antennas,etc

In the interim, SmartSDR 1.43 now has a really easy to configure Remote Button that makes configuring a remote operation very easy. 

The method I am posting has worked with iPhones and iPads.  I suspect that it will also work with Android devices as well... As you long as your device supports Parallels Access, then you can remote into your Flex 6000 Series.  It will also work with PowerSDR and the 3000, 5000 but they are much more difficult to set up.

Rather than posting all the screen shots on this community - which is rather time consuming I have prepared a detailed PDF that you can easily download from my Public Dropbox

Remote IPad Operation of 6000 series using Parallel Access App

https://db.tt/0ERrHbej 

In case you are wondering how anyone can afford the cell phone International Data Roaming Rates I have also written a presentation called

HOW TO SAVE A LOT OF MONEY ON INTERNATIONAL DATA ROAMING

https://db.tt/vUXgteRU

Bottom Line.. Use local Data SIMS... Much cheaper than USA Data Rates.

Enjoy the Freedom that Roaming Brings to You.

Comments

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thanks for making it into a PDF article.

Still homeless and searching and no radio to operate.  Lost my mobile capabilities in Junction, TX auto accident on the way to FL. 
  • GarySOwnsby
    GarySOwnsby Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Howard, Thank you very much for your updated article and the PDF. I would like to confirm if this is the headset you are specifying: http://goo.gl/X3w2f Thank you. Gary, AK4ZX
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    You posted the $100 version

I am using the $37 version so I can lose it without as much pain

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005...
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Hope u were ok
  • GarySOwnsby
    GarySOwnsby Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I understand that for sure; however, there had been some commentary that this was a Bluetooth only; however, Logitech's website says it is Bluetooth and also has a separate nano-plug that permits use with non-Bluetooth devices.  That's why I wanted to make sure it was the same as you were commenting about.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I am using a Bluetooth only version..  the separate nano plug would be useful if you are using a device that has not built-in bluetooth such as some of the less expensive Android tablets.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Howard,

How do you get the bottom icons to show up so on can access the audio controls. I can see no way to do this using parallel access? Thank you.

Jim, K6QE

• Carl K5HK
    Carl K5HK Member
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Howard, will be trying it in very near future. You have any tempting tips or PDFs for tempting to another PC not on The radio LAN? 73, Carl K5hk in Reno
  • GarySOwnsby
    GarySOwnsby Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Howard,

Just to be clear...is the version you are using the same as http://goo.gl/X3w2f

a.k.a. Logitech Wireless Headset H800?

...setting aside the price...

'Want to be sure before plunking my money down.  Thanks.

Gary, AK4ZX
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Gary

I am NOT using the H800 which @$99 ($63 on Amazon)  much  more expensive

I am using
    Logitech Wireless Headset for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch (981-000381)

Found on Amazon for $37

The H800 looks to be a much better quality version of mine with a USB Bluetooth dongle - I have no doubt that it will work OK for you.

I use the really cheap version because it folds into a small package and it gets abused a great deal traveling in my backpacks and dive bags so I don't mind replacing them when they get destroyed.  On long trips I take 2 because I usually lose/destroy one along the way...

In the old days I dragged an IC-706, coax, mikes, etc, etc, etc,, even had a special waterproof allegedly indestructible case - which the airlines proved that they could destroy anything...

IPad Remote is just so much easier and less stuff to replace when it is destroyed in travels. 

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Which Icons do you mean.. the Parallels Access Icons are accessed from the Settings Bar  of Parallels Access
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    You can remote via PC if you use a VPN to simulate the Local LAN Subnet.

Search VPN on this community for many tips on how to do that.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Howard you challenge me again. I guess it means remoting SmartSDR on a second computer, and then accessing that computer with Parallels. Is this correct?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    No... you do not need Parallels Access if you use a second (i.e. Remote) PC IF you can connect from the Remote PC to the Radio via VPN so that the Remote PC is on the same IP Subnet as the Radio
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I am not sure what Howard just said, but as far as I am concerned you have a client computer on a LAN controlling the Flex and also running Parallels Access. Then, you use Parallels access to remote this computer from your iPad or IPhone.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    OK I setup the sound system for remote, but the PC mic is disabled. What am I doing wrong?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Jim and I are both correct.. two different cases

Dave:

When you set the PC Mike it should show something this

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yes I see the microphone there, and I have it setup correctly. What I am unable to do is to select the PC mic on SmartSDR. It says "PC disabled" no matter if I am in remote or regular mode or on my iPaad..
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Post a screen shot of your sound recording devices..

Perhaps you do not have a default Microphone.. Notice I have a default logitech wired headset which is the default PC Mike when you are not coming in via Parallels Access...

Or perhaps its a Windows thing where you need to enter the computer via Parallels, select the mike and THEN Start SSDR?
  • Justin Smith
    Justin Smith Member
    edited May 2015
    Thank you for sharing these helpful techniques. I have a Mac with Parallels and Parallels Access next to the PC (W8.1) that runs Smart-SDR 1.4.3. Am I correct that I would need to run Smart-SDR using Parallels on my Mac before I could use my iPad to control the 6500 remotely using Parallels Access? Do you know of an analogous way of controlling the 6500 from a native Windows system? Thank you, Justin
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You do not need a MAC to run Parallels Access

My 6700 is actually directly connected to a dedicated PC not a MAC.  I loaded Parallels Access PC Client onto it.  I start SmartSDR on the PC and then use my iPad to connect into the PC.

For a MAC to work, you still need to run SmartSDR under Windows.  Most people run Windows under Parallels on MAC with success..
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard,
    I tried remoting with Parallels Access about a month ago and it worked on my iPad to my Win10 system...for a few days.  Then Windows did another update and broke it.  Now when I try to connect to my desktop from the ipad I just get a black screen and the "searching" icon.  It locks the desktop and then requires a hard reboot of the desktop (Press power button and hold for 15 seconds) in order to get control of the desktop again.

I have opened a ticket with tech support for Parallels and the initial tech couldn't solve it.  It has now been booted up the chain and they "will get back to me" when the programmers have solved the problem with an update of the software.

So I guess I will get to try remoting again SOMEDAY...

Sign me "frustrated in Indiana..."

Ken - NM9P
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Too Bad.. You are missing all the fun of running around working DX on the Fly...

Clearly the issue is WINDOWS 10... and whatever mysterious 'FIX" that they most recently applied.

Of course, Windows 10 is a Beta-  So you can continue to expect issues with it until at least Version 10.1 after Windows 10.0 Production Release. 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I was having many troubles with my Win 8.1 installation and decided to try 10 rather than reinstalling 8.1.  That's what I get for wanting to be on the "bleeding edge" sometimes.

I am tempted to reinstall 8.1 and wait, but I actually like the interface on 10 better so far.  8.1 was such a hodge-podge mess.  

Thankfully, SSDR is running fine on my Win 10 desktop, except for the occasional screen stuttering that has already been documented.  It is a frustration, but I prefer the other enhancements of 1.4.3  enough that I have chosen to endure the frustration in order to enjoy the other enhancements!  
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

This is off the subject (I apologize) but does anyone know if Windows 10 has a built-in hard drive imaging program as does XP, 7, 8, and 8.1.

Jimi, K6QE

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Parallels access is not the "only game in town" for remoting the SDR. There is Logmein, and Teamviewer both of which have apps for the iPhone and iPad. As with most horse races, I prefer Teamviewer over Parallels. I get the same low latency as Parallels.

Jim, K6QE

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Jim
    I have all 3 on my iPad and PC plus Skype and CommCAT   - I soon will try Pegasus as well.. 

Basically, FOR ME, Parallels Access won the race because it most closely converted SSDR to conform to the iPad and iPhone which enhanced my ease of use.

Currently playing with CommCAT...  Interface seems very easy to use especially on the iPhone... I really like its spots feature...It should work well when I have poor cell phone connections

BUT you end up with a BLIND RADIO... and I like to see the bands I work...
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    @Ken

From my CTO days after my son took over as company president, I developed a real negative attitude for installing any new Windows O/S until at least after the release of Service Pack 1.. With 100's of PC's, just too many unnecessarily expensive O/S  issues to fix until MS fixed it themselves..

In the case of Millenium, Vista and Windows 8.0/8.1  Those products were so poor that they were never allowed onto any of our systems..

Hearing good things about W10.. but I am no longer CTO so I have no idea what they are doing... But I suspect that most commercial users will still hold off until W10.1 even if they have to pay for it as fixing things is not free..

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Howard whenever I click on the PC (disabled) mic it always tells me that "invalid default audio input device selected"  and tells me the DAX audio RX # that it is. After disconnecting from Parallels I can look through the DAX audio RX #'s and see that it is the one that is selected as default. Any suggestions on which device should be selected as default" I am totally lost as to where to go from here.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    1. Stop all the DAX Channels.in the DAX Control Panel and Make sure you have DAX NONE selected in the Slice
    2.  Connect to your PC via Parallels Access
    3.  Once you have done #2, using your PC look at the Record Section of the Sound Control   Start --> Control Panel --> Sound  --> Recording
    4.   The Parallels Mike should now show up as a Microphone
    5.   Set it as the Default Microphone

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.