Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

MMTTY won't transmit until I press the TUNE button

Bill Turner
Bill Turner Member
edited May 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
When I start SmartSDR version 1.4.3 and MMTTY, MMTTY will not transmit until I press the TUNE button on and off. Then MMTTY works fine for the rest of the session. Is this a bug or do I have something configured wrong? Same problem on two different computers, Win7 and 8.1.

Comments

• Jason Whiteaker
    Jason Whiteaker Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Hi Bill,

I think it's a bug, and it's been there since before v1.3.8 code. I see it with WSJT-X, but the symptom is exactly the same: hit "Tune" or TX in the application, transmitter won't key through the app until you hit the "Tune" button once in SmartSDR. After that, application control of the transmitter is fine.

I'll be watching this one with you, sir! :-)

-Jason, NK9B
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Works fine here but must be some sort of "bug" since more than one user have the problem.

73s Jim K4JAF

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Same problem here - with "fldigi" running any mode.  It only happens the first time I try to transmit in an digital operating session.  I have it set to use VOX, but *always* it will fail to transmit the first time in a digital mode operating session until I force transmit (either Tune button or hitting the PTT footswitch connected to the front panel mic plug).  This can happen after already working CW for several QSO's, so it's not necessarily the first time to transmit since starting a session on the radio.  After transmit has happened once in the digital mode, it will continue to work.  And, likewise, it has been happening at least since 1.3, meaning ever since I've had the radio (6500 bought last May.)

73, Duane  AC5AA
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have this with JT-65 when changing slices. Have reported the issue. The problem is when changing slices the radio does not connect the newly selected slice to DAX until TUNE or ATU or maybe VOX is clicked. If watching the DAX control panel the digital data is exiting DAX but the radio does not receive the data stream. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have never had that problem with any digital mode program using CAT (not the PTT port) to key the radio.  Please provide more detailed information about how your system is set up and how to reproduce the issue as only the symptom has been described.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hello Tim-

I do not use CAT since JT software is not aware of multiple VFOs. [always have multiple JT-65 sessions active on multiple slices using the -rig-program command line option VOX to trigger transmit]. 
    Anytime I switch slices manually, either the TUNE or ATU must be clicked for the radio to synchronize with the new DAX channel. If either of those buttons are not clicked the radio will not transmit, however, can see digital output on the DAX control panel.

So say I'm on 15M [JT-65 DAX 1] making contacts and see some DX on 10M [JT-65 DAX 2]. If clicking the TX ICON on the 10M slice only and clicking TUNE on JT-65 software nothing happens. But DAX control panel shows data going out. If clicking TUNE on radio panel or ATU and then TUNE on JT-65 software the radio will transmit.

Hope this helps.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    How do you "switch slices"?

Please define "not transmitting"

Is the radio actually keying up?
    Is there audio shown on the panadapter when transmitting, but no RF output?
    Do you see the TX meter moving in the DAX Control panel?
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Tim-

NO, the radio is not keyed-up, stays in receive mode.
    Yes, on the TX meter in DAX
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I presume you are in DIGU mode?
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes
  • Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018

MMTTY just needs a PTT Com port to send to,  you do have to create a PTT port in SmartCAT,  (rts to transmit)   assign that port in TX tab of MMTTY..   

SmartCAT for rig control/data

DAX for audio 

• Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited December 2016

That fixed the problem, thank you!!  Although I do consider it a work-around, not a real fix since SmartSDR should respond to a VOX audio tone in the first place. Never the less, I am a happy camper.  :-)

73, Bill W6WRT

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Bill - WSJT modes are timing specific, so anything you can do to reduce latency is a benefit. Keying by VOX is higher latency than using a CAT-PTT port.  Also, you do not have to worry about changing VOX threshold levels either.  it is a cleaner and all around better way to key the radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.