Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex users net

Alan Nusso, N4BV
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is anyone interested in starting a Flex users net at night in the Southeastern US ? Is their one already in operation?

Answers

• WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

How about all Flexer's? 40mtrs?

73's de Mike WA6FXT

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I might check in every once in a while.  I'm not one for nets but I wouldn't mind an informal group that is more in lines with a rag chew session.  Nets where folks just check in and tell the group what equip they have and call out for any emergency traffic seem boring to me and without purpose, so may as well just have a general rag chew.

Maybe just pick a frequency where folks hang out when they aren't somewhere else?
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I am usually on at night and would find an informal hang out on 80 or 40 a good idea. Like Norm I am not much for "Nets" but a place to ask and answer questions and just get to know other users would be something I would be enjoy.

Alan, pick a frequency and lets see what happens.
  • George - AB4FH
    edited March 2018
    Alan,
    Sure, why not. I'll check in occasionally. We should probably keep the CW speed below 30 wpm in the interest of greater participation, though. ;-)
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Alan sounds good. a Elmer's  group. For the Flex 6000 series radios..I'm a DX'er always have my eyes glue to the cluster and like a few Contest like the WPX this weekend. Rag chew I'm not a big fan of only if the topic is the radio

Jim

WU5E

Woodlawn, TN

• Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    CW ? C W?  Oh yea thats one of them "thar" digital modes right ?  It's like JT65 but faster, I think.  :)
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am on 75 most nights have a group I check in with on 3.838 but several of us have migrated to 3.720 to talk about our flex radios and several on the community have found us and joined in. It is in the extra portion but gen portion is really packed. I enjoy discussing the functions and issues we might have. Also setting up the many software programs. If anyone wanted to make it a regular let me know. Several of the people are ones I have sold flex radios to.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    3.720 = Advanced also :)

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    yes you are correct I do not understand why they do not grandfather the advance into extra I would have no issue with it.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    In my bucket list for this year 

• Dave Chavez
    Dave Chavez Member
    edited December 2016
    There is a flex net on 20 meters 14.329 on Sunday at 1 pm central time.  Anyone can check in but I would say about majority of checks ins are flexors.  You can discuss or ask questions regarding flex, it is a well informed group. 
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    With all of the HOA business now a days, there might be greater participation on 40m than 80m due to antenna size.  Its certainly the case for me.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Sure!  

Why not ... Let's give the CB'rs Extra while you are at it...

• Charlie
    Charlie Member
    edited March 2015
    I thought they already gave them a General. The language and territorialism sound just like channel 19. All complete with non legal amps, rodger beeps...........Good Buddy.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I will join you, I didn't know about 3.720. But we should all find something, should be fun. Oh and it should be open to all flexers not just 6000.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    40m would work better for me too, I can work portions of 80m I'll see if I can get tuned up on 3.720. 
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Some of us might even use an SDR-1000. So It won't feel left out. It's old but doesn't have any knobs so maybe no one will notice if it sneaks in. 
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When I passed the Advanced in 1978 and then the Extra in 1986, I thought that the Advanced Class exam was by far the toughest test.  Perhaps it was because I had learned so much more in the between time, but the Extra was mostly specialized communications techniques and stuff.  The Advanced was more nitty-gritty electronics theory.  The code was the toughest part of my Extra exam.  Now that the code is no more, I wouldn't have a problem grandfathering the Advanced Class to extra.  It might make up a little for the damage done by incentive licensing back in the 60's, when privileges were taken AWAY from hams in the transition...Not a good move.  The incentive classes/privileges was a good idea, but no one should have LOST privileges as part of the deal.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    There are some of us, old friends for long back, but mostly using flex radios, that gather from about 8- 10 pm Eastern Time on or about 3.817 +/- QRM.  When summer static increases, we move to 40 Meters, about 7.217 +/- QRM.  We call ourselves the "earthquake net."

There is another group of flexers that gathers on 3.990 in the evenings, about the same time.

I have run into several rag-chew informal nets that are flexers, and/or audiophiles scattered across 80 meters.

Perhaps someone could assemble a list.....

• Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited November 2016
    @Ken - NM9P
    I didn't do much hamming for about 20 years after got the Advanced. Spent most of that time working communications projects 3rd world countries middle east, Africa,  South and Central America.  I purchased the 6500 and an incentive to get back active. Part of that is a commitment to also get the Extra.
    A lot of what is on today's extra is stuff that was on the old Advanced. I just find it a bit harder getting up to speed at 70 verses 30...
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Agreed. Can't do 80M here due to HOA
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I cheaped out and ended up with the extra, Went in for testing when I thought I had enough CW ability for a license, I asked if I could try for the General If I passed the Technician, because I wanted the General. They said no problem no extra charge if done that same night. Scraped by and passed the code test, passed the Technician, 
    then Passed the General, Then was asked If I planned to hang around and attempt the extra,

"It might be good to try it so you'll be less afraid of it when you come back."

Darn it, passed the extra, and never got to be a Novice, Technician, or General. I'm not a no code extra, I'm a cheap extra. I spent the savings on an SDR1000.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    yes you are correct I do not understand why they do not grandfather the advance into extra I would have no issue with it.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ok tune up on 3.720 is good, I love this AT2K, ZS6BKW is really too short for the bottom half of 75m. I'll be listening regardless. Did we lock in on 3.720 and a time frame?
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    I will be there a little after 8 central time if busy will move up 2 And2
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I took the novice in 1961 and again in 1973, then the tech, then the general, then the advance, then the extra . I can assure you the advance was the most technical and the hardest of any of them. The next was the general then the extra then the novice then the tech. .
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    No matter what frequency you pick someone will not be able to participate so just pick one and lets see what happens.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Will look for you guys on 3.720
  • Lee - N5LN
    Lee - N5LN Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

I've just gotten on the air with my new 6500.  I would like to join a net (or two) as there is so much for me to learn.  My last really fine station was my KWM-2A & 75S3C.  After I got over the shock of not being able to dip the plate and peak grid current, I'm beginning to enjoy the rig-- hi hi.  Seriously,

I would love to have a list of net frequencies and bands to find one that fits my schedule!   I would check in often

Lee Nugent  - N5LN. 

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Lee wan is tough tonite but several of us are meeting at 3.720 at 8 central time

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.