Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX woes with HRD

AA1UI
AA1UI Member ✭✭
I've gone a few rounds now with trying to get DAX to run on my Win7 machine.  Everything else on my 6300 seems to be going ok.  DAX is running, and when I go to the control panel I can see signal (red line) however, if I press on #1, I get an immediate error "An error has occured while trying to open a DAX driver.  Make sure no other applications are using RESERVED DAX devices... etc."  So, I have restarted, re-installed, etc.  I'm not sure what to do next.  I noticed that inside DM780 there are no DAX channels listed, so I'm definitely not close to running. Flex SW is the latest version.  it's Win7-64.. all up to date.  I also have an M-audio 1010 interface for my audio.  I'm not running any other VAC sw or anything like that.  Anybody got ideas?

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Try right clicking on the speaker icon in the lower right hand corner of your computer. Click on playback devices and see if the DAX channels are listed. If not, there might be a problem with your installation.

Jim, K6QE

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I'm pretty certain disabling the audio interface for your M-Audio device in Device Manager will fix the issue. I have a similar problem with two MOTU 828 Mk 3's. It's the MOTU drivers. Let me know if that works for you. Mack W4AX Alpha Tester
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Most of these recurring problems reside inside the registry. I recommend to set up a new OS on a clean new harddisk and keep the old one as a backup. If that doesn't work, take another pc or notebook. Sometimes it can also be a hardware problem. My working systems run on lenovo pc's and panasonic toughbooks.

Alex, DH2ID
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Are you sure you are using the right DAX channels?  There are several.  Some may be in use/reserved by Flex.  Also, if you have some other software (e.g. MTTY under N1MM or something) there really could be someone else who "owns" the channel, though usually you can have more than one program listening to the receive audio.

But, the easiest thing to get wrong is the DAX channel.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Make sure, inside of DM780, you use:

Input ...: DAX Audio RX 1           
                  DAX RX Audio

Output ..: DAX Audio TX 1
                    DAX TX Audio

• AA1UI
    AA1UI Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    hmm. that would be pretty unacceptable to me, since that's my entire audio routing system for my PC.  However, I shall try it to see what happens.
  • AA1UI
    AA1UI Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    This is a new OS and clean setup already.  thanks.
  • AA1UI
    AA1UI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    thanks, but I have no DAX to select yet.. it does not exist in the list of sound devices.  First DAX needs to be properly registered and seen by the PC, which it is not.  
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Then something went wrong with your installation.  I would uninstall and then make sure everything installs this time.  I think there's an option you can accidentally set to put in less than everything.  Anyway, at this point, that's what I would try.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Mine installed without a problem on a Win7 64bit machine. I used this installer:
    http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr_v1-3-8-126_installer-exe/

• AA1UI
    AA1UI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thank you to all who have commented and attempted to help me.  This community is fantastic.  So, here's an update:
    I uninstalled 1.3.8 again, and this time I also uninstalled my M-Audio drivers.  I then re-installed 1.3.8, and DAX came up correctly and is now passing signal to DM780.  I have since re-installed the M-audio drivers, and everything seems to be co-existing just fine.
    However, it is now smartCAT that will not connect to the DM780 radio panel.  I have confirmed that CAT is talking to the HRD rig control program as it changes frequency and mode and will key up.  I have even configured a separate PTT port on DM780 to key transmit faster , and that works.  
    However, I get an error message and a locked up DM780 when I try to connect to the HRD IP server address.  This address is supposed to be the same as the PC. I've double-checked the address inside the IP server tab. I have also tried "local host", with no luck.  It just locks up or rejects the connection.  I have turned off Windows firewall, and I have gone into my router and specifically port forwarded port 7809.  I'm not sure what to try next.  
    As always, I am grateful for any suggestions from those successfully using the latest HRD sw with the latest flex sw.
    Doug
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Doug, have you tried to start MiniDeluxe only, setting the correct SmartCAT serial port (Main panel, connect 3rd party program to port ...) and then starting DM780?
    Using the HRD main rig control program uses too much cpu time and is not needed at all.
    My HRD server port is 7809. If that doesn't work, look at your firewall settings. I had no problems with firewalls, but maybe you have special software for it?

73, Alex
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Install ddutils ver 3 and use it as your cat server, it will save you tons of headaches.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good idea, Sal, something I have forgotten... ;-)
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I love DDUtils, it controls my rotor, amp and radios. It even sends band data into the amp for auto band switches. Great piece of software.

http://k5fr.com/ddutilwiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
    Amazing job by Steve K5FR

• Lee
    Lee Member
    edited February 2015

How would DDUTILS 3 work to control a Ameritron 1306 ??

Thanks,

Lee

• AA1UI
    AA1UI Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Thanks Alex, I gave up on HRD rig control, installed the latest minideluxe, and all is right with the world once again!  DM780 is working!  Thanks again!
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Btw, I can have DDUtil install in one PC and control the Flex with another computer in the same LAN and all the functions will work. No need to install DDUtil on the second PC.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.