Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

1.4 in VM - Audio Sharing?

George KF2T
George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
For the development team - will it be possible to use the Remote Audio feature in SSDR 1.4 to route audio from SSDR running in a Windows VM out to applications on the host OS? Or is there a "DAX-like" application for Mac that can wrangle the audio from the network?

Thanks - looking forward to more fun with 1.4.

Geo

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

My guess is that you will be given a list of audio devices that are available. For example, you can route the audio to the computer sound card, a VAC line if you have it installed which can be routed to a third party audio device, or another audio device installed on the Windows OS.  

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    For LAN Remote, the audio input (mic) and output (speakers) are the Windows default playback and recording sound devices on the PC running SmartSDR for Windows.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks, Tim. So I will be able to run digital apps on my remote client as long as I select the Windows default I/o devices for audio, right? Getting closer!!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    As it is currently, and will be with v1.4 and greater, operating digital mode apps is facilitated by using DAX. LAN Remote is for operating the other modes remotely with SmartSDR.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

HI, Tim,

As it stands now, if I have a Creative Labs sound card connected to my PC, will I be able to access that (as well as the computer sound card) using the remote function on V 1.4?

Jim

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    For LAN Remote, we SmartSDR for Windows uses the Windows default sound device for the the mic (recording) and for the speakers/headphones (playback).  So if one of those sound cards is configured in that manner, you will be able to use it.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    If I have a Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) designated as my default sound device will I be able to route that to third party software for audio processing before routing the audio to my desired sound card?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Jim - I don't know.  You will have to try it.  If you set up virtual audio cables as the default sound devices, that is the sound device that SmartSDR will use, so the audio from the slice will go out of it and for operating phone, it will take the input from the virtual audio cable to modulate the radio.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Tim, was thinking there might be a bandwidth saver there. Either way, I'm excited to try it all out. 73!

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Well, actually LAN Remote does use a codec that compresses the audio bit stream.
  • Cedric HB9HFN
    Cedric HB9HFN Member
    edited January 2015
    As far as i know the codec used will be "Opus", a lossy audio codec: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_%28audio_format%29

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.