Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR v1.4

KM6CQ - Dan
KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
It would be great to have SmartSDR v1.4 by December 25th.

Dan 

Answers

• Lee
    Lee Member
    edited December 2019

ONLY! if it's really ready.....and fully tested/debugged

Lee, KC9CDT 6500

• James Whiteway
    edited November 2014
    While I agree in principal with your statement Lee, software in general is never fully tested/debugged. There are too many variables that can create problems where there were none during testing and debugging. At some point, you have to release the software to your users and be prepared for problems and issues as they arise.
    I have had some experience in that area in the past and from that, I know that no matter how much testing and debugging you do, someone, somewhere will have issues that the developers never imagined or the testers never encountered. That's just the nature of the beast.
    It then becomes a matter of timely fixes and updates. No software with a wide spread group of users
    and a large variety of computers and configurations can possibly anticipate all potential problems.
    Sometimes it's the end user's computer and setup that is the problem and others it's the software itself.
       So, I said all that to say, that I'm looking forward to v1.4 as much as everyone else. And hoping that it shows up soon. BUT, if it doesn't, that is not a huge problem. I can work around the limitations of the current version fairly well. Where I cannot, I use my Yaesu FT-1000MP MKV.
    james
    WD5GWY
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    In my humble opinion I think FRS should take all the time they need to deliver as solid of a 1.4 release as humanly possible. What I don't want to see is another 1.3.8. Personally I didn't see any show stopper problem with 1.3 that needed an emergency point release. Apparently others did. I had a long conversation with Steve on this very subject and appreciate some of the reasons they do what they do. I don' t necessarily agree but (being I've been doing software development and architecture for 43 years) I understand what the dynamics are. Going back to 1.3.8, there were several that vocalized having to regress back to 1.3 as 1.3.8 was "sufficiently broken". There are more that silently regressed to 1.3. I came very close myself. I would actually applaud FRS rethinking it's road map. Again, in my humble opinion, it is way superior to under promise and over deliver.

Walt - kz1f
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    No matter who the developer is, no matter how much something is tested, it is likely that some bugs will remain.  This doesn't reflect on testing methods or testing personnel.  It is just the reality of complex software development.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015

I want good enough as soon as possible. Perfection takes way too long.

Andrew

• KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thank you for the update Steve.

Happy Holidays,   Dan 
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for helping to set expectations. 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Steve! Good to hear. Happy Holidays to you, your family, the staff at FRS and their families.
  • James Whiteway
    edited November 2014
    Someday soon, someday soonnnnnnn !! (just kidding, keep up the good work Steve!)

• Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    why,microsoft have been doing it for years
  • James Kirk
    James Kirk Member
    edited November 2014
    All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth and world peace.
  • James Whiteway
    edited November 2014
    Steve, will the new code changes effect Flexlib? Like maybe a new version?
    Just curious.
    james
    WD5GWY

• Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    So the earlyist it's going to be is the end of year glad someone has said rather than all this speculation
  • steve smith ka1sdr
    edited November 2014
    first October then end of November now maybe by the end of the year i sold my 5000 for this and 9 months latter is not half the radio my 5000 was i should have waited another year to buy the 6500 my bad
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Guess I can stop refreshing the community home for a while:(

Jon...kf2e
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Steve! Just like with the hardware development, waiting will no doubt be worth it! PS - My 6500 isn't half the rig my old one was. It's many times MORE.
  • steve smith ka1sdr
    edited November 2014
    i hope so i really hope so
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    As some of you know, I've had my less than glowing moments on here. Having said that, I'd rather see anything ship be worth the wait than shipped out just to meet some arbitrary date. Writing software isn't like baking Brownies (or Thanksgiving Turkey) you don't put it in the oven, set the timer for 3 months and ship when the buzzer goes off. And, yes, in the absence of a formal declaration from FRS, I'd go with it will change the FlexLib source.

It's a very true statement about what is called the Golden Triangle in software development. You have resources (people), features, and time. Given resources are fixed and promised features are fixed, time HAS to float. What I've argued is let resources and time be fixed and let features float. Where some here are, um, bent on features then expect it when you see it. There is another truism I learned working summers in college, from a sign at the greasy spoon we had lunch at. "People don't remember when I've done something right and don't forget when I've done something wrong". Lets everybody take a breath and let FRS do something right.

Walt - kz1f
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    That is why I sold mine. October . . . November . . . December . . . January. When ??? Just wanted something that works. K3 will be here next week.
  • steve smith ka1sdr
    edited November 2014
    i here ya, thinking about listing mine going to seriously consider it
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Good, cheap, fast. You can have any two but not all three. If you want it good and cheap, it won't be fast. If you want it good and fast, it won't be cheap. If you want it cheap and fast, it won't be good. It's a golden rule of most projects. Good, Cheap, Fast...pick your two.

• G4YDO
    G4YDO Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    12 months though is a  bit of a joke.......
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    There has to be some better way of giving info on releases than one chap saying in about a month then another one says a month after that if all goes well. Maybe best to say nothing? It's a difficult call.

I think the atmosphere on this topic will change markedly, and not for the better, when people would have actually paid $199 for the next major release rather than having the current releases effectively for free.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Not sure I understand? I've had my 6500 since February and have had 2 major updates. I'll likely have had a third before I've had it a year...all free. I'm not sure what you are looking for but we aren't going to get everything everybody wants in a single update...or ten.

Jon...kf2e
  • James Whiteway
    edited April 2020
    I think 1.38 was only a couple of months ago. So, 1.4 coming at the end of the year, isn't too terrible. And given that it appears that it involves some major changes within the radio's software, if it does show up by the end of the year or earlier, then, things are not that bad. As for the paying $199.00 for it. That won't happen til 2.0 actually is available. So, unless you prepay, it's not an issue either.
       The reason I asked about Flexlib changing is because it will be interesting to me, what new features that will show up in the API's that I can try and mess up!! (well, hopefully not!)
    Given my feeble coding skills, that should be fairly easy!
    (glad no one is waiting for me to complete anything)
    james
    WD5GWY

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    How about something that just works 100% . . . Its not about new features.
  • James Whiteway
    edited November 2014
    Jon, unless you were given your radio for nothing, the software wasn't free. It was in the price of the radio itself. Updates for the version you have up to V 2.0 are included in the price of your radio. Once they bring out the next FULL version (2.0)
    instead of an incremental update, then, you will have to pay for it if you want it.
    (but you knew that already) And as I understand it, even after v 2.0 arrives, if there are still bugs/issues with the previous version ( v 1.x) they will still provide free updates and fixes.
    james
    WD5GWY

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    First of all, I know I will regret hitting submit on this but..

Steven, nothing is free and nothing works 100%
    I seem to recall software updates for the first year were to be free, after that there would be an annual charge. Not having gone to Dayton I do not know what the latest morph is on on-going support. Think of your car, your home, your anything, after an initial period support/maintenance is not free.

What differentiates FlexRadio from Yaesu, Kenwood, or whatever, is in the later category, you got what you bought, there was no illusion it would be different the next day. With Flex, most people bought a vision. Some people had a more realistic vision than others but it was still a work in progress. It still is.  

The radio does work. From the northeast I've nailed the South Pacific.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I bet those that pay for v2 will expect those releases to be given some degree of priority over v1 fixes. I include myself in that too.

I realise the software is not free, but when something is effectively free (which is what was said above), it means that one does not pay extra for it and one does not get a discount for refusing it...a bit like wheels and tyres on a car.

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.