Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Persistance

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
What is meant to be saved with a normal shutdown?

I just loaded SSDR and connected to the rig and the only thing the same from last night was the band and TX filter.

No receiving slice - there was one at shut down.
Display parameters changed
Transmit mode changed (from DIGIU to LSB)
Receive filter changed.

I'm sure it used to be better than this. Can I do something to fix it?

Answers

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I see those same persistence problems.  What I see at start up shows that information is either not being saved properly or lost for some reason.  Nether end of the IP link seems to know what it is doing at shutdown or at start up.  I hope they solve this for those that intend to run these radios from a long distance over an extended IP network.  Hope there is a back up method to rectify a bad situations.  I don't know how they maintain sync between the two ends, the radio and the computer app.  What ever is causing these problems, I would hope is a priority.  Please understand that my overall approval of the radio is great, once I get all of it running after a restart. 

Pat
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I run remote all the time... my secret is to use profiles which seems to correct persistence issues
    On remote reboot of a radio, i just click onto the appropriate profile to get going.

Some day soon (I hope) we will get some documentation from Flex that will detail what is actually saved by

1. Persistence
    2. Global Profiles
    3. Transmit Profiles

I am sure that once we get that documentation that most if not all of the questions about what is saved will be answered.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Profiles do not seem to save receive filters, which I find strange. I just cannot understand how a company as focussed as FRS can introduce a major feature without adequate documentation. My theory is that a rogue programmer slipped it into a release and FRS could not pull it and they were caught on the hop, ;-).
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It used to be fine, but it seems to be very hit and miss at the moment.
  • Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I guess I'll stop looking now! Funny, I was just searching for that non-existent documentation about 10 minutes ago. It gets tiring resetting USB/LSB!
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Actually it can save RX filter BW.  I have custom BW for JT65 of 2.2 Khz.  It is done by setting up your Global Profile with all the parameters and that includes the TX profile that you want to use.  While doing all this you manually drag the BW edges upper and lower to where you want them to give the BW that you want.  I do it in the transmit Pan.  then save the Transmit Profile make sure it is selected and then save the Global Profile.  Next time you select that Global Profile you will see that the BW you made will be selected.  Please note that I have on occasion lost part or all of the Global Profiles  Transmit Profiles seem to be more stable.  

Pat
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Pat, I doff my hat to you sir for figuring that out. What were you on when the epiphany occurred?

There was me thinking I could set things up the way I liked and just 'save'. Silly me, hi hi.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I had to make 2 discoveries to make things work the way I wanted.  First was that TX profiles are remembered in the Global Profile via the name of the TX Profile as a parameter of the Global Profile.  The next was that BW was remembered in the Global Profile as a manual adjustment.    Also learned that Global Profiles could become very cumbersome if you made one for every operational case that the radio used.  Got to a point were I had so many profiles that I seemed to find the memory limit of the radio and or the SmartSDR app.  That started the app crashing every one in a while.  So now I limit it to Globals that reflect the mode I use and in a few cases multi-mode in 2 or more Pans' .  And in those modes It calls the appropriate Transmit Profile.  Much easier this way.  Also I use the 20 meter band as the starting point for all the mode Profiles in the Global.  Didn't mean to get so long winded. 

Pat
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    PS:  If the info was available for what parameters are saved in the Global and Transmit Profiles.  We could all become very inventive in the use of the 6000 series radios.  

Pat
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The number of times I start to transmit on JT65 and find that I have no RF up the spout. I have to see which settings has changed/not changed. On occasion I find my RF Power set to zero, and it was not be me.

My dream is to be *easily* save a global mode setting that will contain the settings (including mode frequency sub bands) on all bands for RTTY, JT65/9 and any other mode I chose. So I can change bands and stay in mode, if you get what I mean. With all the digi modes available, I would find this very handy.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    If the info were available, we'd actually be able to know how to use them. Seriously, the convoluted machinations you have had to concoct illustrates clearly why there is no documentation.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Here is how I  named the Profiles.  In the Transmit Profiles I can not delete the Default items.  Wish i could as I will never use them.

Pat

imageimage
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    They should pay you to write the documentation - you seem to have profiles nailed.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Guy, The Profiles that I have shown you, meet my needs, but may not for others.  I went through 3 iterations of these profiles.  Each time learning a bit more.  But,  I am afraid it is not enough to do as you described.  I should describe what my particular Profile do and how they work.  It is a bit late tonight to do so.  When I have some time, I will do so...

Pat

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.