Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR 1.3.8 transmit interlock does not function in CW mode

George O'Brien
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows

Caution to owners of SteppIr antennas

On F6700 running SSDR vers. 1.3.8 the transmit blocking does not seem to work in CW mode.  I have attached two pictures below:

Transmitting CW with SteppIr at frequency

Transmitting CW with SteppIr while it's changing frequency [don't worry I am actually

transmitting into a dummy load attached to another antenna output on the linear]

Note that SSDR thinks it is inhibiting/blocking the transmission but the RF is

still being emitted.  The interlock DOES work correctly on DIGU, DIGL, USB,

LSB modes.

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have entered this problem report into our bug tracker for additional investigation. Thank you for the defect report.
  • George O'Brien
    edited November 2014

Edited: 9:38 EST  19 Nov 2014

I have tried to gather further information for the developers.  It doesn't matter if the rig is using one antenna (both TX/RX on ANT1 for example) or on separate antennas (RX on RXA and TX on ANT1), the problem of non-inhibition of transmission remains.  I had hoped to see different results with the QSK indicator off, but no joy.  Meanwhile, when I am in CW mode (about 95% of my hamming) I have to remember to wait until the SDA100 controller's tuning LED goes off or I will damage the DB18, especially with 1.5 KW output.  Hopefully, this has already been resolved in vers. 1.4

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    You can use DDUTIL to inhibit transmit when the SDA100 is changing frequencies.
  • George O'Brien
    edited March 2017
    I am currently using the Data In port with an S12 cable from the PC to the SDA100 controller configured as a passive listener. I think you are suggesting that I use the Data Out port and the more complete SteppIR controls in the Other tab. Can I still use the S12 cable and simply switch connections?
  • George O'Brien
    edited November 2014
    Also, I am using the PTT output from the SDA to the TX REQ input of the F6700. Hence, making use of the TX REQ as I thought it was intended.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I am not familiar with the S12 cable as I made my own about 10 years ago....  But I recall that it was a simple cable with Ground, Data in and Data out.
    http://k5fr.com/ddutilwiki/images/Cables.pdf

I use the Data Out Port on the SD-100 and the complete SteppIR controls on the Other Tab

Works great and protects my Amp and Antenna by inhibiting transmit in software

• dl9eri/oe9eri
    dl9eri/oe9eri Member
    edited December 2016
    I can confirm, that the TX REQ (TX-inhibit) does not work in CW-Mode on the 6500. Using here an old TenTec HerculesII QSK-amplifier with Microham Stationmaster for Bandswitching and PA-timing.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have an earlier version of the SDA-100 with an external N8LP PTT relay in between the TX port on the 6700 and the PTT port on my 2K-FA

I actually use both hardware and software to protect the Amp and the SteppIR
  • George O'Brien
    edited November 2014
    Thanks Helmut and Howard for both your help. I will take a closer look at the interfaces tomorrow. FWIW I think it's still a good idea to fix the bug in SmartSDR since the other modes work just fine.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.