Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CPU utilization with SSDR 1.3.8

Sergey R5AU
Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi fellows, has anyone got the same CPU utilization on F6700 with 8 PAN's open ?This is a problem or just a issues of SSDR 1.3.8 ?image

Answers

• Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I am very interested in your results; however, it is not possible to read the information from the screen shots. Please post your findings in your text rather than relying on it being possible to read them from the screen shots. Thanks.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Jim,
    FWIW, when I click on the image in the community it opens up to full size and can be read more easily.  

I can see that the CPU utilization for SSDR goes from 7.2% with 1 panadapter to 82.4% when 8 panadapters are open.  And the CPU shows 100% total utilization with all 8 open.

I suspect the high utilization is what Sergey is trying to show.  (my 6700 is being PENed currently so I can't provide any feedback currently)

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• George O'Brien
    edited April 2017

Hello Sergey,

Here is a screen capture in a Powerpoint slide (only way I know how to attach right now) of my 6700 running with 8 slices, DXLab Suite (all modules), SDRBridge, 4 instances of CW Skimmer, FLdigi and finally iPad running K6TU Control.  My computer running Intel i7 hexa core Processor, 12 hyperthreads, overclocked at 4.6 GHz, 32 Gb of 2100 MHz DDR3 RAM, AMD R9 390 graphics card with 3 Gb of video RAM.  All 12 hyperthreads and 6 physical cores show evenly loaded at about 55%.  However, the sound of the audio is raspy, probably due to too much multitasking of sound card output.  Hope this helps:

• Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Al, Thank you so much. I was looking at the image in the email I received rather than here on the Flex Community site. What was I thinking? Sergey, thanks for bringing this up, and I apologize for not checking the Community site first. I've been experimenting with this load issue also. Have you tried adjusting the priority for Smart SDR; I've even tried going to "real time" just to see the effects. Of course that will affect whatever else is running on yu computer. One of the many great things about this Flex hardware and software is the opportunity to try such options and see just how far supporting computers may be pushed. -- Jim, W5HFS
  • George O'Brien
    edited November 2014
    Sorry, DDUtil is also running.  Only software not running is WSJT-X.
  • George O'Brien
    edited November 2014
    Oops, one final correction of typo.  Graphics card is R9 290.
  • James Kirk
    James Kirk Member
    edited November 2014
    I am a simple man and can only keep up with one slice at a time, perhaps two on a good day.
  • George O'Brien
    edited November 2014

Hi Jim,

I normally don't run more than 3 pan adapters and 4 slice receivers either. However, I was trying to help Sergey and the developers quantify what the CPU utilization might be in an extreme case.  As noted, the audio is raspy when this heavily loaded.  When I cut back to 2 DAX I/Q channels, 4 DAX audio channels, 4 pan adapters and 4 slice receivers, everything became smooth and nicely behaved.

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Everyone! Thank you for reply,

I put attention due to the in the past on versions SSDR before 1.3 I have no such CPU usage on my PC even with all DAX channel enable and 2 instance if CWskimmer.

My PC is notebook Toshiba Cosmio with

CPU i7 2,4 Ghz

RAM 32 GB

HDD- >SSD

Video-> Nvidia GTX 770m

My Ethernet is CAT6 + Internet access 300mbit/s (Gpon technology)

Some time I am using several PAN's for bands survey, in case such results of the CPU utilization, perspectives with increasing number of the applications and functionality of the SSDR rapidly push me for this discussion before 1.4 appeared.
    I don't think that this effect somehow related to the PEN,, as we are know the PEN just cooling enchancement with FPGA. Jim, yea, I remember several posts concerning issue with CPU utilization and like to start it again, I think in time of encreased attention on SSDR.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    George, thank you !,  i see even with you PC with "power of universe"  not so good at all, i would like to say CPU Utilization issue can be a some blocking point and necessary to find out a way out !
  • George O'Brien
    edited November 2014
    I agree, Sergey, that this much CPU usage seems unusual. If we do the math, total load is 12 x .55 x 1.8 = 11.9 virtual cores at 2.4 GHz. Since I don't have experience of older versions of SSDR, I cannot compare. I hope that version 1.5 will address the sources of high usage and raspy audio when fully loaded.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    I agree 100%, this should be adressed to FRS,

Tim can you convert it please as a problem ticket for further investigation ?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We are addressing issues like this with v1.4 and will probably continue to optimize PC resource utilization with every release of SmartSDR.
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Sergey,

Try minimizing the flags in all the slices by clicking on the slice letters.  I've seen this help on laptops I've run with SSDR.  My issue seemed to be related to GPU layering and shading.

Put this suggestion in the "reportable curiousity" category if it helps, and random noise if it doesn't.

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Hi Asher,  did some screen shots at morning before starting with business day :-), i think you are right in general regarding GPU layering / shading, flags of clices has minimum impact, but the "Left Menu" and "Transmit Control Panel" from the right, what i assume just shadow a work zone of the PAN. Of course some variation with CPU utilization exist  - depends on the others processes and apps , but i make a screen shots in some 10th secs after switching to the Task manager.
    I guess it will be helpfull for FRS too.
    i think the time now to think abt dockable GUI in SSDR ? This is also will be helpfull for users who would like to rearrange apps on the screen in other proportion.

• George O'Brien
    edited November 2014
    Sergey, My new tests with various configurations of slice flags on and off as well as slice controls on and off show significant reduction in CPU load. I don't think that is surprising if we consider the additional tasks being opened. My conclusion for now is that when the 6700 is maxed out with all 8 panafalls, 8 slice receivers, 4 DAX IQ channels and 8 DAX RX/TX channels busy this pretty much consumes the full capabilities of a quad core i7 fully multithreaded running at 3.4 GHz.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.