Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX 1.3.8 problem

km9r.mike
km9r.mike Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows

FLEX 6300 / Win7pro ( IT layman, all IT background is self taught )

SSDR 1.3.8 upgrade works great for me except for DAX 1.3.8.  Dax was working flawlessly on SSDR 1.3.0  (DAX1.0.5) however after multiple attempts to correct the issue on my own I have submitted this problem post and I suspect this was an install problem on my part and not an issue with the software but I am lost in finding a solution .

If I do a downgrade to SSDR 1.3.0 DAX works great again. When I upgrade to 1.3.8 this is what I notice. The DAX 1.3.8 TX and RCV drivers install ok. The DAX icon will not install on the tray bar at pc power up like it did for dax 1.0.5.

Even after starting the dax 1.3.8 with administrative privileges, this is what I notice. The host pc recognizes dax 1.3.8 and all dax channels are listed in the pc's sound control panel. Third party software can access dax 1.3.8 channels and TX levels from the third party software are displayed on the leds on the pc sound control panel, however, this is the only leds that are reflecting any activity unlike dax 1.0.5 where more than one channel was indicating activity when the pc's sound control panel was opened.

The DAX control panel however indicates no activity on receive or tx and dax iq indicates no activity as well. It is as if the pc and third party software acknowledge dax 1.3.8 but my flex 6300 does not, yet the flex 6300 acknowledges the other upgrades found in SSDR 1.3.8. I have tried the dax channel switching, opening and closing dax, pc reboots and flex reboots but the flex 6300 still fails to recognize dax 1.3.8. However, If I do a simple downgrade to SSDR 1.3.0 dax is working great again.

Where am I going wrong ?

tnx,

mike km9r

I

Comments

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    With me, DAX 1.30 was buggy and 1.38 works great.  What I did the first time I had a problem with 1.38 was completely un-install SSDR including the DAX drivers.  What I found was that when I installed 1.38 and left 1.30 intact somehow the old drivers were in the way and I still had issues.  Getting a totally clean install of 1.38 fixed all of my DAX problems.

Make sure that if you do uninstall SSDR you run a registry cleaner to get rid of any unwanted keys, and to a complete reboot to get a clean install.

It could be that this is operating system dependent - I am running Windows 7 Ultimate.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Registry cleaners? <shudder>.

I install each version of SSDR into the same folder structure without any issue at all. If FRS thought it were necessary to have a routine uninstall they would program their installer to do it like many programs do or advise us to do it manually.

Registry cleaners? Seriously? Hi, hi.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I did notice after my upgrade that my DAX was not working, that was because the DAX button on the P/CW tab of the transmitter panel had become deselected on its own - took me ages to find that.

Good luck.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I have never used a registry cleaner I will keep that in mind. I have kinda resigned on this issue and hope the next upgrade will resolve the issue on my pc and return dax to normal operations. I am not a big digital mode op, however, I do enjoy configuring systems so the mode is functioning well and available if I need to use it. For afsk rtty and psk, I was using an ft857d and microham DKII and that combo was very reliable and was hoping to replace it altogether with the 6300 but that plan has been put on hold for now. I was able to make approx. 450 qso's during cqww rtty with SSDR 1.3.0 and the 6300 w/o a single hiccup. Very rock solid.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Yes I too have been bit by setting errors but as long as I learn from them and do not repeat then I will just look at it as gaining experience. Tnx for the well wishes.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Sometimes even the best un-install routines, sometimes stray entries are left in the registry.  It's quite possible for these to point to an old file or a previous file location.  This may have no impact at all - or it could cause unpredictable results.   My feeling is that if it's an unused entry, get it out of there so that it doesn't cause any trouble.

Search through your registry sometime after uninstalling a program and see how many entries related to that deleted program still exist.  They may cause problems, then again they may not. 
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Ok this sounds like a good plan and an area that I did not realize needs better attention. Thanks Steve. I got a few irons in the fire and have already devoted too much time with trying to find a solution on my own but I will put this on the to do list. I will be helping some with w1aw/7 nv and I also have an important work training event in the near future but as soon as I can free up some time I will let you know what results
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04/why-i-dont-use-registry-cleaners/

You will get bitten sooner or later. I have been messing with computers since April 1992. I currently have 6, and the minimum number of installed OSs is 4. I have *never* had an issue with an uninstall causing problems that needed a cleaner to fix. MUCH safer to create a restore point and edit the registry manually. I have used cleaners in the past and have always regretted it. A few months down the line you will find a rarely used program has some funky behaviour that you cannot fix - caused by the 'cleaner'.

If you really are worried about leaving detrius after an uninstall, consider Revo Uninstaller. It is much safer and does a good job - I don't bother myself.

As they say, "Be careful out there".

• km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Resolved : As I initially posted SSDR 1.3.8 upgrade worked great for me except for DAX. DAX worked fine in 1.3.0 but not after upgrading to 1.3.8. After getting semi frustrated I downgraded to 1.3.0 and left it that way for about two months since I was busy with other things.

What worked differently for me was I removed SSDR completely then reinstalled from the disk. Prior to running the 1.3.8 installer, I removed the 1.3.8 folders that were in "C". I just ran the 1.3.8 installer again tonight and for the first time when I upgraded the radio the upgrade status bar displayed full scale to the right well after 5 min with the radio not displaying as available. So like Steve instructs when this happens just power off the radio and power it back on. The radio was now available in the SSDR start window.

I selected the 6300 opened the DAX control window selected a dax channel and got nervous because I was not seeing any rate nor led indication. I remember someone suggesting selecting and reselecting the dax channel in the dax control window and VOILA I now have both rate and led indication for receive. One down and one to go. I select DIGL because I was using MMTY last on 1.3.0. Open MMTY and it too is seeing the audio in. Good news. Momentarily select the tx on the SSDR control window and then transmit a macro from MMTY. Happy days dax is now working for me on 1.3.8.

I suspect that this issue was self induced during my initial upgrade to 1.3.8 and for me at least it appears that removing the old 1.3.8 folders in "C" resolved the issue. Again I am not computer savy enough to know for certain but for now I am happy that dax works in 1.3.8 for me.

Thanks for suggesting that I ensure those folders were removed.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.