Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW - on my roadmap

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
On my personal roadmap is to start using CW, forgoing the use of readers. The next release of my logging program will be Winkeyer compatible - does that help me with the internal keyer of my FlexRadio 6300?

Can a Winkeyer be used with a FlexRadio and what advantages does it give over the internal keyer.

I have not used CW since I passed my Morse code test in February 1975 so sorry in advance for the noobish questions.

Answers

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Guy
    Things are complicated enough without adding a winkeyer. The keyer in the 6300 is top notch plus cwx works fine for keyboarding at high speeds. Since you're just starting in cw I suggest you plug a straight key into 6300 and have at it.
    Steve n4lq
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Many thanks for the advice Steve.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Guy,
    I agree with Steve about the internal keyer.  Here is an option if you want to use both a straight key and paddle for the internal keyer.  

You can plug the paddle in the KEY jack on the front panel and wire up a straight key to the accessory jack on the back.   The advantage of this setup is that you have both keys active and switching from the paddle to the straight key doesn't require any other steps.  (you don't have to disable IAMBIC to use the straight key).  

Just jump back and for between the keys as you would like, and of course CWX is also active at the same time.  

Hope you enjoy operating CW!   

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I prefer iambic paddles. They keyer in the 6000 works beautifully.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Guy,
    On a related note, you may be interested in this thread about operating CW when the REMOTE features become available.  

At some point there will be the ability to connect your KEY or PADDLE to the remote PC per Steve H.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote_is_cw_via_a_paddle_in_scope_for_the_remote_e...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Bruce
    Bruce Member
    edited October 2014
    Guy,
    You might also start with CWX memorys and type some text e.g. "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" and some other text and play them back at various speeds. I'm trying to copy incoming signals in to the memories to get back into copying cw on a keyboard. It would be nice if there was incoming large buffer for copying the code. I cannot move my pencil fast enough when the other station is over about 30 wpm (hi).
    Try ARRL code practice too.
    Bruce N5FD
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I use a combination of CWX and my trusty old CMOS-4 keyer and Bencher paddle combo.  I can change speeds much quicker with the external keyer and it's still much more natural for me to make an ad hoc reply with the paddle than with the keyboard.  I do use the CWX memories for a lot of my DX contacts which consist of nothing more than calling and replying "R TU 5NN IA" and I've got a couple of them programmed to do a station "brag tape" message and a pro forma end of QSO, but I don't use them as much.  I need to do more CW ragchewing to get comfortable with the idea of keyboard CW.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Isn't 30 wpm like talking speed? I was once at the QTH of a very fast CW operator when I lived in 4X4. He was listening to the CW (English, natch) and not writing anything, whilst speaking to me in Hebrew and hos XYL in Romanian.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Sounds like that was Emil DL8JJ
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    My CW instructor at CW Academy discourages the use of pencils over 15 WPM. I am trying to learn to head copy without using a pencil and it feels like I am learning CW all over again.

• DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Guy, 

you don't need(but you can use) a WinKeyer. Have a look here, if N1MM+ is an option for you. I used my NanoKeyer (K1EL-WK protocol), until CWX took over the job of the WinKeyer. 

I am very excited in CW and have nearly every QSO in CW.

If you are interested in a weekly sked for (if you want lower speed) QRS training, just drop me an Email and we can arrange it. UK works good for me on 160-40m.

VY73
    Tom
    DK1EY
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Tom, I *will* bear your offer in mind. Not used CW since I passed the Morse test in Feb 1975. I have got several training apps to get my speed up to something reasonable first.

Best 73
  • steve smith ka1sdr
    edited October 2014
    does flex plan on putting in a cw reader at any time soon
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    @Steve - With the FLEX-6000, there are a lot of things we can do with this radio architecture and decoding different non-phone modes is one of them.  However, to properly set your expectations, we will not be able to answer the "when" part of your question.  It is a long standing policy of FlexRadio not to speculate or discuss future software features or capabilities that are not currently in beta or have been published by our Product Management group on the development roadmap.
  • steve smith ka1sdr
    edited October 2014
    thank you tim just wondering the cwx is awesome and works great i just dont have a good ear for reading cw

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.