Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 problem jumping panadapter and stuttering waterfall

GI4FZD
GI4FZD Member
problem with new Flex6300 delivered today.

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    How is the Flex 6300 and your computer connected?  We need details about the network cabling between the two in good detail.

Also, please tell us about the computer you are using.   We need to know CPU, memory, resolution you are running, and the graphics card that is in the computer.   There isn't anything wrong with the radio, but there is a data flow issue between the radio and the computer that we need to figure out.
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    Connected via switch, I used this 3 weeks ago with another 6300 with ddutils switching amp atu rotator lp100a without issue.its an 2.3ghz i5 laptop with 1920x1080 external display
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    Its a 1gb switch, 8gb memory ati radeon 6700 mobile graphics adapter and i did try another network cable.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It's good that these are connected via a switch.   If this is running 1.3.8, after you connect and you experience stuttering, you should open your Task Manager and inspect the CPU usage of your computer to see if anything else may be stealing CPU time.   Is this Windows 7 or 8?
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    cpu is about 17% running win 8.1..this radio was just substituted for a machine that was working 3 weeks ago, same computer same cables. i can't work it out,
    It's getting late here i will have to sleep on it.
    Thanks for the help so far.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Assuming you're running WiFi, is there a chance something is **** up bandwidth on your network?  Something streaming, maybe?  It may be worth process of elimination of anything else plugged into the switch, and then anything plugged into the router.
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    Hi Steve,
    I am not running wifi, adapter is disabled, DPCs are all below 1000, I have tried different cables, different switch,direct cable between computer and flex6300, still no joy. cpu usage is around 17% sunet and mask are ok.
    network usage on smartsdr is 2.9Mbps
    This was a direct replacement for another 6300 that was 100% working with the system, that I stupidly sold.
    I retired last month and have worked in IT in the television facilities industry for a long long time but maybe i have missed something.
    Cheers
    Paul

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    I think he was meaning if you were running wifi anywhere in your network not necessarily on the computer running SmartSDR.   I agree, it's hard to diagnose this remotely when it seems like a weird gremlin somewhere.   You could try resetting the persistent database in the 6300.  Besides that, since you are IT-aware, I'm not sure what else to recommend.
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Although unlikely, one possibility is that SmartSDR is not optimally interfacing with the ATI Radeon 6700 graphic card. On the SmartSDR Startup window, check to see if  “GPU Capability” is set to “Maximum Graphics Acceleration”. If not, SmartSDR is having a problem with your GPU.  Whatever the case, you might want to check with ATI to determine if an updated driver is available.

Good luck and 73,

Larry KB1VFU

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2017
    Can you make a short video of the panadapter behavior?  Looking at what is happening make give me a clue as to what is happening.
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    Hi Tim,
    I have sent you a video at your qrz email address.
    cheers
    Paul

• GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    I did try resetiing the persistance database also downgraded to 1.2.17 then back up through 1.3 to the current 1.3.8.126 still have same fault, I was able to run my last 6300 from 2 locations in my house without problems (not at the same time of course), my main computer is an I7 that i use
    for video editing and my house is cabled for network.
    Lot of head scratching going on here ,I can't say I am pulling my hair out because its practicaly non existant.

• Anthony Bowyer
    Anthony Bowyer Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Have you tried forcing the laptop NIC to 100mbs? 1gb can be a strain for some cabling or configs. Try making the laptop 100/Full (turn off autonegotiate), restart the laptop and the 6300 (this is necessary), see if it makes a difference.
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017

Hi Anthony,
    I have just tried your suggestion, it made no difference
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    Here is link to video of the problem
    http://we.tl/Qqo6y8Oux7
    cheers
    Paul
  • Anthony Bowyer
    Anthony Bowyer Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    One issue is that you can't force the 6300 to 100/full, but you could force it on the laptop and directly connect to the 6300 for a bit to test.
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I didn't see any jumping panadpter in that video.
    I had a jumping panadpter with my 6300 and 1.38 and downgraded SSDR to 1.21
    Probably didn't have to go back that far but did so anyway.

73 de Mike W9OJ

• GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    No its harder to video the jumping panadapter but you can see the disturbance in the waterfall
    cheers
    Paul
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited June 2016
    Tried to send you video but it didn't recognise your qrz email
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    there are a few blips on the panadapter at around 10 seconds and a large one center right at end of video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNuFC8WLSH8
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I looked at the video.  From what I can tell, there is no loss of audio when the waterfall has a low signal event that shows up as a light colored band.  Also I can't tell if the panadapter is freezing at the same time that the waterfall is showing the light colored bands. And, if the network was dropping packets that contained spectrum data, the lines on the waterfall would be black, not a lighter color of blue. All this indicates that the network isn't dropping packets.

I noticed that you have PRE (preamp) on.  Does it show the same behavior is the preamp is off?

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    57% cpu utilization
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    here is another of the waterfall
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cspLOhaoXk
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    If you slow down the waterfall rate in SmartSDR do you still see the issue?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Probably not related, but just in case... I get white line pan dropouts every time my wife turns the lights on or off in the room next to the ham shack.  Apparently a momentary electrical surge is getting transmitted through the power supply of either the computer or the rig.  Or perhaps it is getting picked up by the CAT6 cabling.  Could you have some electrical impulse going through your AC lines that are being transferred to the rig/computer but are not being radiated to the antenna?
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

I am sorry that I opened these video links.

Now, I have access to so much video garbage that I sure like to know how to delete then off my forum page.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I can see the black lines now; that is probably packet loss.  What kind of gigabit Ethernet switch are you using?
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited June 2016
    Pre amp doesn't seem to make a difference,knocked waterfall back to 82 speed still glitching and horizontal lines on waterfall, another thing is that when i change say the scale at the right hand side of panadapter the trace takes about to seconds to follow it and glitches a lot until it finds its new position on the display...I better not link anymore videos ,Ernest is complaining.
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited June 2016
    yes
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited June 2016
    I have tried 2 ways, one is a netgear gs308 but my previous 6300 was working fine through my Asus Rt-N66U which has 4 gigabit ports, I have also tried direct computer connection to the radio with the same result,

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.