Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X JT9 advice please

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
6300 SDR 1.3.8

I run my setup like this https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/dual_jt9_and_jt65_with_wsjt_x_without_split. This is the way that K1JT advises too.

AIUI, JT65 is below 2500 and JT9 above that. If I tune up to the JT9 section of the passband, say to 3000 all reads well (the drive level etc) but NO RF is generated (according to the rig's RF meter and that of my ATU). The only way I can generate RF at that spot is to place my signal at +1000 in WSJT-X and tick the +2KHz box.

Is this a WSJT-X thing? I assume that if it were the rig, my workaround would not work.

TIA

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    For JT65+JT9 without having to change frequencies, lets say on 20M, you are tuned to 14.076, you do this:

Widen your RX filter to 5000hz.  Widen your TX filter in the "Phone" tab to 5000 on the high cut.  Enable JT65 & JT9 decoding in WSJT-X.   You can then decode and transmit both without having to retune.

I'd then save this as  TX profile, as this is very unique to WSJT-X.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi,

That is exactly what I do. But if I wish to put out a JT9 CQ, I tune in WSJT-X to the JT9 section (above 2500 Hz), select the 'Tx JT9 @' and get no RF out. I have to use the work around I mentioned above to get any JT9 RF out in that section of the JTx band.

Please try this...tune up 3000Hx in WSJT-X, press the 'Tx JT65 #' button so that it changes to 'Tx JT9 @'. Pt out a CQ and tell me if you are getting any RF out according to the rig's meter or your ATU.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Guy
    I definitely got output above 3,000 Hz on JT9

(or at least I used to - can't test it until later today when my 6700 returns from Flex)

Did you set your transmit bandwidth to at least 4K or 5K?
    IF not, then it won't transmit above 3K
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    As we say in England, what a knob I have been. I had forgotten to set my TX bandwidth > 2900 . I did not even see that suggestion when I read 'OZY's reply.

Thanks to you both for opening this pair of eyes. '<face palm>' as my children would txt.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Live and Learn

One thing that might help is to write out a detailed pre-flight checklist for setting up each mode with all the DAX, Filter, etc, etc, etc check boxes

I used to do that but now with Profiles I just set things up correctly then save the profile and forget it
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The TX bandwidth issue would not have occurred to me (as it didn't) so would not have made the checklist. Profile setup in FRS and between my ears, hi hi.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Glad we could help
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    You should make a mental note that if you go to transmit and the signal is out of your transmit filter, no power will come out.  For example, if your TX filter is set for 3kHz and you are tuned to 14.076 and you go to work a JT9 station at 14.080, all of the modulation will be out of the 3kHz filter and so the radio will emit no power.  So the mental note is -- if you are working digital modes and you see no power come out, think about whether this might be the case.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.