Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR restarts on its own in Win7

KD4Y
KD4Y Member
edited January 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
Having a issue with SSDR Ver 1.3.8 rebooting computer out of the blue!
I'm using Win7 64. The Video card is an Nvidia Ti 650 boost. No problems
using Power SDR with my 3000.

Herb/KD4Y

Comments

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Are you getting a blue screen of death with an error message pointing to the Nvida driver?  I'm fighting a similar problem with my Nvidia 650, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen at least once,even when I didn't have SSDR running.
  • KD4Y
    KD4Y Member
    edited January 2018
    No Blue Screen with mine, Just the Computer restarts on its own while SSDR is running.
  • Bob Forrest
    Bob Forrest Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Have had the same problem with 1.3.8 in Win 7 64 bit. Have also had difficulty getting panadapter and waterfall to properly sync. Often had a 3 to 5 or more second delay - a real aggravation, considering the 6500's pricetag. Finally went back to the previous SSDR version.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Recently we have been getting reports of several NVIDIA graphics cards having problems with rendering the high resolution display, not the display lagging issue, which is a known and acknowledged defect we are working on.  

Always make sure that you are using the most recent non-beta video drivers.  The WHQL driver might be in order.   Historically, we have see very different levels of performance between NVIDIA driver version.  One versions works well and the next doesn't.
  • KD4Y
    KD4Y Member
    edited October 2014
    thanks Tim latest Non Beta Driver is loaded. i have been running the computer for the last 48 hrs with out a restart. Miss my 6500!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    If the PC is crashing without ant errors, this indicates the a hardware driver that is running in protected memory has crashed.  Since SmartSDR runs in user mode, there is no way it can crash the PC without throwing some sort of error.  So the root cause of this is a driver / hardware issue.  

A quick Google search has reports of the GTX 650 TI crashing like this with other applications.  It is possible that this is an over-clocking, a thermal  or TDR  (Timeout Detection and Recovery) problem.  If you are over-clocking your PC or GPU, you should try backing off those settings.

This is a good read on thermal issues (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/619136/convincing-solution-found-for-tdr-crashes-black-scre...)

For TDR issues, you can change the timeout value in the Registry.  Here is an NVIDIA forum article on it. (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/503962/tdr-fix-here-for-nvidia-driver-crashing-randomly-in-...)
  • KD4Y
    KD4Y Member
    edited October 2014
    I have not over clocked the CPU  (2600K, Asus Board) or 650ti. I had the same issue with the 7700 series AMD Video Card, that's why i changed to the Nvidia. Checking Event Viewer, I see no errors??
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for that tip, Tim.  I just went in an turned TDR off in the Registry.  We'll see if that solves my problem, which has existed well before 1.3.8.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    edited August 2016
    Hmmmm.  Since I turned off TDR, I've had no more BSOD driver errors, but now I've had two "Connection with the radio has been lost.  Please reconnect" messages, which I hadn't seen in a long time, and one unknown problem overnight.  When I went down to the rig this morning, SSDR was shut down and not showing even on the Taskbar, but SDR-Bridge and the two CW Skimmers were still running, as was HRD Logbook.  It took a reboot of both the radio & the PC to get things back again.
  • KD4Y
    KD4Y Member
    edited October 2014
    Here is an up date. The computer restarts on its own With out SSDR running.
    thats good news for SSDR. 
  • Steve Walker
    Steve Walker Member
    edited March 2017
    I have seen a couple of Windows 8.1 BSODs with SmartSDR 1.3.8 when closing and then choosing to quickly sleep the computer. Win 8,1 throws an IRQ_NET ndis.sys error - BUT only after using the Flex for a while and then asking the PC to sleep more or less instantly after closing SSDR.

The PC runs fine and has *never* restarted in it's own - it appears to be to do with the amount of network traffic going on and the sudden request to sleep the PC.

Will try and get a DMP if I can I had that turned off as I never normally need them, never had a graphics issue and I run some old Nvidia 9500 card as that has never let me down.

73 Steve

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    NDIS.SYS which is crashing is the Windows level network driver.  I recommend updating your network hardware drivers to the latest version and making sure that the network interface you are using to communicate with the radio is not allowed to power down when in power saving modes.  It is also recommended that you change your Windows Power Options to High Performance and never put the PC to sleep or hibernation.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.