Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

High CPU with 8 Slices. Ver1.3.8.126

James Nelson
James Nelson Member ✭✭
edited June 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
8 slices seems to run the CPU beyond its limits causing communication loss with the radio. Running an i7 3517U 8 gig ram here so while I would expect things to be really cooking with that load I noticed earlier versions handled this. Lets face it 8 slices is over the top however as advertised it should be OK. Also I noticed when closing 8 slices occasionally a "ghost" slice would reappear or reopen when trying to close them.

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    What are you using for a video card?
  • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I may have a workaround while we wait for the type of video card you are using.  Moving the FPS slider from the fast default to a smaller value on each open Panadapter is a workaround.

See the SmartSDR User's Guide Article 7.5 "THE PANADAPTER AND WATERFALL CONTROLS"

Ted
    NX6C
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Interesting, my frame rate is at a modest (my favorite) cinema standard of 24fps . Device is a Sony i7 tablet, I'll check out the onboard video structure for Tim when I get home. Me suspects a bug as slice number 8 takes it to 95% from an acceptable 70% that's off the scale as a result with the system and any other apps she crashes losing ethernet radio coms even although network usage shows only 1.5%. Earler SmartSDR version's never blew out the processor on slice8. Tim and the engineers could always use Team Viewer to see whats going on should they not be able to replicate.

Also when closing the slices its response is mysterious with the closed slices frequently (not always) reopening as fast as they are closed. Thank you Tim and Ted for fast response !!
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 with adaptor Ram 2,080,374,784 / Driver Version 10.18.10.3621 Just interesting why slice 8 with Ssdr Ver 1.3.8.126 freaks it out.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    OK.  First off, if you are not running the latest video drivers, load them.  We have a had a lot of reports on the HD4000 embedded graphics not being able to handle the graphics rending efficiently.

Second, if the HD4000 GPU can not handle the graphics rendering, that process is off-loaded to the CPU, which will cause a spike in CPU utilization.  I suspect that is what is happening.  Hopefully an updated graphics driver will provide some relief.

As @Ted indicated, lowering the frame rate (FPS) will lower the amount of graphics resources needed too.

Unfortunately with tablets, you do not have the option to improve the graphics capability.  Several people with desktop i7 machines have resolved this problem by adding a modest AMD or NVIDIA graphics adapter.
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I would say your about right there Tim, being totally addicted to portable tablet touch operation giving up ONE slice out of EIGHT isn't going to spoil the party. My only point for feedback would be "I am not sure what's in the engine bay of Ver 1.3.8.126 but slice 8 was handled without drama in the previous release". So point made we should consider this problem answered and feedback for engineering. Thanks Tim, Ted & All that view.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.