Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Global & Transmit Profiles Missing after Crash 1.3.8

Jay -- N0FB
Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
After upgrading to 1.3.8 from 1.3, I operated several days without any issues.  My Global and Transmit profiles were maintained as expected.  I have a 6300.  

This morning, I had a single slice open on 20 Meters.  As I opened a 2nd receiver on this same slice, the radio crashed.   The SmartSDR client remained opened, but the radio was no longer available for selection.  Restarting the SmartSDR client did not change this.

I performed a "Short" push on the power button on the radio.  After waiting for 20 seconds or so, the radio did not shut down so I did a push and hold on the power switch (force power down) until the radio powered off.   Giving the radio a 10 count, I then pressed the power switch.  Instead of getting the normal "green" flashing LED, the LED's flashed a Whitish-grey for a few seconds and then changed to flashing green.  Once the green LED stopped flashing, I restarted SmartSDR client software on the PC.

From that point, the radio appeared to run normally, however my Global and Transmit profiles were missing.  I made the mistake of not saving the profiles out to the hard drive on my PC.

Has anyone had this same experience.  Is this a known issue?  I cannot recreate the error.  My assumptions are that the profiles are gone forever unless I manually rebuild them.

Answers

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I would say you wound up clearing the database. When you do so, all of your profiles are dumped as well. The way to prepare for this is to export all of your profiles to your computer so you can re-import them into the radio(ssdr). I suspect if you checked that you also lost all the rest of your persistence settings.

Good Luck!

Jon...kf2e
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Yup....All persistence settings gone.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Well, at least you know what happened. I got burned the same way by not exporting my profiles. Unfortunately, there is no way to export the persistence database that I am aware of.

Jon...kf2e
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    @Jon is correct.  The radio interpreted the button press sequence on start up to clear the profile / persistence database as indicated by the white (actually very light purple, methinks) flashing power LED.  This clears all profiles and band persistence data.

It is a best practice to periodically do a profile export as a backup so that you do not have to rebuild profiles from scratch.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Light purple-ish was the color. 

Thanks Tim for the confirmation.   Moral to the story...when in doubt...back it up. 

Lesson learned.

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Thanks Jon for the help!
  • W4TMW
    W4TMW Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I'd like to backup/export the 'persistence' settings as easily as the 'profile' settings....is there a way to do that other than making screen shots?

Tom

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.