Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 1.3 - DAX not keying radio

Attempting to use DAX for FlDigi and RMS Express Winmor TNC sessions.  DAX appears to be set up correctly as I can see the level meters bounce within the DAX control panel, but DAX does not key up the 6700.   Within the 3rd party apps I can view the waterfall sessions and I see the level meter when the 3rd party application "thinks" it's transmitting.  Uninstalled and reinstalled SmartSDR - now I can't get FlexControl working - ha.  Am sure this is op error.  Have checked out the YT video walking through how to set up DAX.  Some upgrades since that video was taken, but still following the spirit of the original intent.  Anyone have any ideas?

Answers

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Jason. DAX doesn't "key up" the 6700. Your 3rd party software has to do that via a CAT command through smartCAT. So take a look at your "rig control" in FLdigi. Do you have rigcat set to control Smartsdr.xml?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSRIefEWjcc&list=UU8yv24rjknvixn1KIAcwzoQ
    Steve N4LQ 
  • Jason Donnelly
    edited April 2020
    Steve - When I watched this " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcb5QGoo_Nc"  FlexRadio presentation of DAX, it doesn't mention setting up CAT at all.  By creating a bidirectional DAX connection and setting up the appropriate or corresponding sound card capture and playback devices within the 3rd party application, it should key unilaterally without CAT being set up.  

With that said, to get it working I'll try the CAT avenue of approach.  Thanks for the reply.  Just unboxed the 6700 Friday night.  Have a ton to learn.  I appreciate this resource very much - having elmers at the ready to answer my rookie questions is a huge help.  Thanks again.  /// KJ4EOO.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Jason, total FlexRadio noob here. Getting cat set up so digi mode apps key the rig is dead easy. Start off with Fldig as a config file is supplied and you can copy your settings to other progs. Basically, set up a virtual com port in SmartCAT and use that one. There are so few permutations to try it takes less than a minute to try them all.

Good luck. If you are still stuck, let me know here and I'll do what I can to help Sometimes a fellow newbie can help more than a maven.

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Jason, I have been burned many times while setting up DAX. Be sure that in the control panel you have the red TX button enabled for the proper soundcard you are using. Also, be sure the soundcard you have set up in the 3rd party program is the same soundcard you are using in DAX in your receiver slice under the DAX tab.

I had the same problem when setting up Winmor in RMS Express and needed to double check my soundcard settings and DAX settings in RMS Express, the DAX Control Panel, and in the receiver slice on the radio.

Good luck!  Mike, N1MD
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I told how to set up CAT starting at 4:19 in the video. 
    Glad to help.
  • Jason Donnelly
    edited September 2014
    must be different video?
  • Jason Donnelly
    edited April 2020
    Gents -  

That pesky VOX button was the culprit.  Had DAX set up correctly - just didn't have the VOX set up.  No need to play with CAT configs at all - DAX handles it all -. Just connected up to WINLINK gtwy W4CPG on 7102MHz and was able to pass xffic back and forth.  Appreciate everyone's comments - This is sure to be first post of many for me as I am THE noob.  73///KJ4EOO
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    DAX and CAT are different parts of the whole system. DAX is the audio pipeline to and from the radio and digi program. It does no keying. CAT is the virtual serial connection to send data and commands to and from the rig. Keying (PTT) is done either with CAT serial radio commands, or by direct manipulation of a data line on a virtual PTT port in the CAT interface. In order to do digital modes, you must set up BOTH DAX and CAT properly.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    See?  Someone else got zapped by that VOX button. <snicker>  And here I thought I was experiencing some sort of dementia.  That still may be the case but it didn't apply here.

Don't feel bad - none of the setup documentation I read said anything about VOX being an alternate PTT and I had to find that by trial and error.  Now I realize that you should be able to key the radio with the PTT COM port but I was never able to get that to work - so I use VOX.

Glad you got it working.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Oops....Until I saw some of these posts, I was not aware that VOX had been implemented via DAX! Cool! I can use this while experimenting with outboard broadcast audio processing programs like SA Stereo Tool... You Learn something every day! You learn even more If you read ALL of the release notes and documentation! Hi hi!
  • Jason Donnelly
    edited September 2014
    rr Steve- just saw your initial post re: the YT vid - thanks for that.
  • Jason Donnelly
    edited September 2014
    rr - Thanks Steve - Just messing around with PSK31 via FlDigi and Digital Voice (freedv.org).  If I understand this correctly, it appears I can set the delay between the VOX keying up and the 3rd party application beginning it's transmission/data flow with the slider alongside the VOX button.  So far so good.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.