Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Read CW

Richard - N7HX
Richard - N7HX Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Now that CWX has been added, will there be a feature added in a future revision that will allow SmartSDR to read CW and display it onscreen?  A great feature for us folks that have not quite mastered CW.

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    CW Skimmer + SDR-Bridge + SSDR = amazing CW decoder already.

Seriously though, there is a ton of black magic in making a great decoder.  Many have tried, but I think CW Skimmer is the best there is.   You should try it.  There is a demo trial available for it.
  • Richard - N7HX
    Richard - N7HX Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    I was looking for something that would print out the received words similar to a MFJ-461.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have worked with different decoders for years and never found one that is really, really as good as the trained human mind and ear.  There are just too many variables that cause unexpected results.  I agree that CW skimmer is probably the best of the ones out there but it isn't designed to copy messages, just call signs.

If you're looking to operate CW without copying code, CW Get is okay - a little fickle at times. If the timing on the CW is off, especially hand keyed CW as opposed to machine generated CW, it will have a hard time copying.  QRM/N plays **** with it as well. 
  • Carl/K5HK
    Carl/K5HK Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Learn CW best ever decoder!
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Multpsk's CW mode is fairly good, better than most others but not as good as CW Skimmer.  CW Skimmer interfaces seamlessly with  SmartSDR if you use SDR Bridge. 
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    CW Skimmer can show all text of all conversations if you enable it.   By default it just shows call signs and other CQ/QRZ/QRL/5NN info.  You can then focus on any single conversation and it will print that conversation across the bottom of the program.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    On a related note, I sent an idea to Alex to expand the lower display to be multi - line and he has added it to his list of improvements.   I think it would greatly improve the ability to use CWS for decoding.   If you like the idea also, let Alex know. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Here is a snapshot of the suggested change sent in June 2014 using the VE7CC program as an example.

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Multipsk is pretty good.  Just has an ugly interface. 
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hello
    My Elecraft KX3 has the receive/decode  ability on CW . Also have the K42 key board keyer that will decode.

Have tried many software decoders and for sure the absolute best is your mind.

So learn CW . Use your mind 

I have always presumed that CW skimmer is used as the" WHATS on the band"  decoder. Which is pretty darn good .  .

SO !!!!!   I really do not miss this function on the Flex .

I vote for full speed ahead on that road map .     Once you run off the  road map then head for the super highway and implement    Pure signal.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Some folks will want CW decoding feature for various reasons.  

The reason I suggested the multi-line decode for CWS (in the post above) is to confirm a QSO in a busy DXpedition situation.    If you are pretty sure it was your call and then reply, it would be nice to be able to scroll back a few lines on the CWS screen and confirm it.

You could even copy the exchange to the clip board. 

And this would be a CWS enhancement with NO impact of the FRS road map or any work for FRS.  It would also benefit any CWS user, not just Flex users. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    While the benefits of decoding CW (or any other mode) within SSDR seem kind of nice, it strikes me that any kind of decoder implementation in the rig interface will inevitably leave folks unsatisfied. Third party apps should be used where possible. Tight integration with the Flex API is a great selling point, and may allow some of the suggested functions. But let's keep SSDR as lean and radio performance oriented as possible.

My two cents... 73 all!

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sounds neat, Al.  I second the motion regarding CWS's decoder.  It is the best I have used.  I did the trial, but it expired and I haven't bought it yet.  I was waiting until the Skimmer/SDR-Bridge combo has a few more miles on it to hear how well SDR-Bridge works with it.  I have spent so much on rigs and antennas that I am timid about spending more $$$ on software at this point.  Although I am getting very tempted to invest in Skimmer.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Since have tried various Decode program,s I really do agree with George . And unsatisfied is a fair statement . 

I can also see your point Al . 

My money however would be on (Think outside the Box) .

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken,
    The SDR-Bridge and CW Skimmer combo is working well for me.  I usually just use one CWS panel at a time but have tried using several and it all seems to work well.   There is a planned enhancement to CWS to synch up with SSDR after a smaller tuning change on SSDR.   This is pretty minor and not really a problem.   

Other than the multi-line change I can only think of one other thing I'd like to see.  Use the Skimmer server and integrate CWS with SSDR. 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/pfskimer_what_is_the_possibility_for_a_smartsdr_dis...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    "Now that CWX has been added, will there be a feature added in a future revision that will allow SmartSDR to read CW and display it onscreen?"  

Maybe.  We have so many other cool features that are planned which are unique to the capabilities of the FLEX-6000 and are not provided by existing third-party applications that adding CW decoding is going to be lower down on the priority list for now.
  • Jim Miller
    Jim Miller Member
    edited January 2016
    I used to work cw but old age and palsy has caused me to be unable to operate any keying device and my copy ifs fair but I am now getting deslyxic hearing so I ham having to give up but don't want to.  I would appreciate any computer aid for at least now i can still type.
  • OB O'Brien
    OB O'Brien Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm all for it.  I have been away from Ham radio and CW since 1965.  Have recently gotten back into it.  Have lost most all of my proficiency.  I would appreciate the function added to the SDR platform.
    OB W4HXJ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.