Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Need help getting HRD to work

How to get it to work...?
I've tried fldigi but prefer HRD, tried the version 5 and even 6 trial and cannot get either to work...

Sure I must be doing something wrong with sdrcat....

There does not seem to be any how to set-up's anywhere and the ones you find are quite a few years old....

Went to the FAQ's nothing there for the 6000 series??

I've followed the flex radio video for sdrcat I can receive but cannot TX, but I can if I say put fldigi in to transmit mode and then hit the mox key it TX's but I'm stumped with the ports and virtual ports...

I've just updated the software today on the flex 6500 had it a whole week and just want the digital modes to work as that's my main way of using amateur radio...

Really impressed with what I have seen so far but if only I could get the digi side working would be  happy bunny....
Steve

Comments

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited October 2019
    Do you have SmartCAT installed and operational?   Are you seeing the frequency show up in FLDigi?   Have to get the CAT data from SmartSDR using SmartCAT to FLDigi.    CAT data can key the radio,  or you can make a separate PTT port too in SmartCAT.   

• IK3PQG
    IK3PQG Member
    edited February 2014
    I created virtual ports, I enabled the PTT RTS and DTR,
    works with HRD and MixW

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

I am using HRD v6 and it works quite well. 

I will be able to help you later this evening if you have not solve the problem.  Please email me to my QRZ address.  I will send you my phone number  via email.

That"s quickest way to get it done.  Will go over your settings, page by page.

• Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi Dudley I think it's maybe a setting in smartcat as I'm not sure what I should be putting in there shows I have Com4 and 14 No never got the freq shown in fldigi
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the offer Ernest I'm currently at work here in Uk Just starting the night shift yuk! Might take you up on the offer specially as you use HRD which I am Used to...
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018

Steve: Hope this Helps.

I installed HRD with DM780 ver 5.11 on my Win 8.1 computer. Recently upgraded HRD to 6.1 with success. My computer also has Fldigi 3.21.78 and Fldigi DXCluster applications installed.  My FLEX  6500 is updated to SmartSDR 1.1.3 with the latest SmartCAT application. I am successful in getting HRD to function with the FLEX.  This is the settings that work. But may not be correct for everyone. I prefer and use Fldigi apps.

FLEX CAT
    Com 4 Main
    Com 5 Shared
    Com 6 Dedicated
    Com 7 PTT with RTS

FLEX DAX--

The new DAX lines are configured with 16 bit 48000 data streams. Follow the suggestion in the FLEX video to set up DAX. Ensure that you have the TX  button selected (will be RED when selected)  for the DAX channels you are using. I am using DAX 1 for Slice A on Fldigi and DAX 2 for Slice B on HRD..

1. Earlier HRD Versions  FLEX SDR selections.  The latest HRD program includes FLEX SDR Radio and Power/SmartSDR selections.  Try the following HRD  settings.

HRD Connect menu
    Radio TS-2000
    Com 6   -- Note:-- FLEX Com 4 is the CAT port to use If you are using HRD v6.0 or greater. I have found that the CAT Com port 6 Dedicated in FLEX CAT also works. Earlier versions of HRD did not have FLEX SDR Radio or SmartSDR choices.
    9,600 baud
    CTS and RTS checked

2. DM 780 settings
    Open Option Menu Sound Card
    DAX Audio RX 1 for Input
    DAX Audio TX 1 for Output

Open Options Menu PTT
    Via Serial Port
    PTT Com 7
    RTS Checked

You can open the DAX Manager window and verify that you are working with RX and when sending Digital from DM780 you will see the indication TX. If DM780 is not keying the FLEX, the PTT com ports are not set correctly.

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015

Com 4
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    And don't forget that for most digital modes where PTT timing is not critical, you can enable VOX and the DAX signal will key the radio. 

The are generally three means of asserting PTT with digital programs.
    1) via a COM port PTT ( usually RTS )
    2) via a CAT command if you have CAT set up on a COM port and working to track/control the radio
    3) via VOX if COM ports are not working.

Setting up a DAX connection by itself does not key the radio.

AL, K0VM

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

I just type a how to and what to check to get it working.  Some how it did not make it to the forum ?

Let me try again:

Use Com 4 for CAT

Make sure that in - HRD - Program Option - PTT is set in DM-780 - click on "Configure HRD Connection" then click on Connect (if it is connected it will tell you) or do the following on the following order: 

Start SmartSDR - Smart CAT (make sure you see the GUI that opens on the lower right corner above the computer clock.) It say "You are connected to 192.168. etc... if this does not come up, it will NOT work.  (more info) most of the time the desktop CAT icon will not connect; I have to go to Start - Program and install if from there where it works 100% of the time.

Now when you run HRD, all the software should show without any intervention require from you.

W4EY settings except that if you are using DM-780 there is no need to set a com/port for PTT. And the new HRD has SmartSDR and PDSR instead of TS2000 - Flex CAT I have it as dedicated no need to used RTS or DTR when it is dedicated.

• Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks all for the replies I'll have a go at this over the weekend everything appears to work apart from tx I'm pretty sure it's to do with the settings (or lack of them on my part) in smartcat Thanks for the help I'll report back. 73's
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Started again today, I did manage to get it working, then it stopped... found the blue DAX button had turned itself off, also discovered moving a window about the screen took off SmartSDR, not sure if this is a feature of Windows 7 64x but never seen that happen before and certainly don't remove other programs from the screen very strange....

Another thing I tried, I removed the network cable from the computer and plugged directly into my router.. just in case...

Using the demo version of HRD which they say fully works... ahem! hi hi

Ok well using the setup supplied.....

Put these in..
    FLEX CAT
    Com 4 Main
    Com 5 Shared
    Com 6 Dedicated
    Com 7 PTT with RTS

This was double checked..
    The new DAX lines are configured with 16 bit 48000 data streams. Follow the suggestion in the FLEX video to set up DAX. Ensure that you have the TX  button selected (will be RED when selected)  for the DAX channels you are using.
    As was this...
    2. DM 780 settings
    Open Option Menu Sound Card
    DAX Audio RX 1 for Input
    DAX Audio TX 1 for Output

Open Options Menu PTT
    Via Serial Port
    PTT Com 7
    RTS Checked

Fire up Smart SDR 1.1.3
    Connected to 192.168.0.15
    Run SmartCat (small window popped)
    Connected to 192.168.0.3

Start HRD.....
    Company Flex Radio
    PowerSDR/Smart/SDR
    COM4
    All looks ok can adjust frequency using SmartSDR or HRD
    Connecting to HRD's Logbook... all works as does the DXCluster

Port Map on SmartSDR Cat shows COM4 Hamradiodeluxe COM14 CAT
    Click on DM780 opens up but where the frequency is says CLOSED digital master has stopped working...!!!
    start it again click on the option "Connect to HRD" program simply hangs...
    Try again this time click on configure... program simply hangs....
    In the box is localhost and port 7809

The problem is with DM780 it either crash's/freezes all the time on startup or if it does not do that trying to connect to HRD where the freq display is just

In the SmartSDR cat window tag Serial Ports should anything be listed in the Left Hand column as this has always been blank?

Spent enough time today trying to figure this out today off for some dinner....

Might try tomorrow to uninstall everything and start again...

Steve

• Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Steve,

I've got the 6.2 release working fine with my 6700, and I've got the benefit of being in the same time zone as you...might be able to help you out.

I only use two ports, com 4 for CAT and com 5 for PTT.  I've noticed with HRD, sometimes the order in which you fire up the programs makes a difference.  It shouldn't but I've had that problem before.  HRD can just be weird sometimes, which you would hope wouldn't happen for a paid app.  At any rate, I'd fire up HRD, confirm it sees the radio, then DM780 and see if it connects to HRD.  I have had to reboot the machine in the past when they wouldn't connect.

On the radio I use "DIGU" as my mode.  On the active slice, I click DAX and select channel 1.  I don't use the blue DAX button on the "P/CW" sidebar menu.

I'll PM you my phone # if you want to ring me.
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the help Mike.... As per email stopped working after reboot..... Seems to have a mind of it own just wondering as I said in the email if it's anything to do with the demo version of HRD but sure it's also a problem with Dax like no signal showing when there is on the HRD waterfall... Had enough tonight, so a bottle of bud is helping ;-)
  • Mark - W6MSB
    Mark - W6MSB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve, FWIW - I'm having the exact same problem, and I have the paid version of HRD (using the 6.2 preview). I've discovered that if you drag the slice around, eventually DM780 figures it out, although there is significant latency in DM's ability to track freq changes. Eventually, it seems to "catch up", but this clearly is unacceptable. In my config, HRD starts, then automatically starts the Logbook. I then manually start DM780 when I want to use digital modes. I have had success with Digital on receive and transmit. 

I found that if I close logbook, everything seems to work fine. Order does not seem to matter -- if Logbook is running, radio functions in DM don't work right. **** Logbook, and it works great.

Feels to me like a DM bug. I just got around to using Digital modes with my 6700, so I can't say for sure if the problem existed prior to 6.2 preview.

BTW - I also am only using two ports, one for CAT (the default) and one for PTT (which I created). PTT works great.

Mark
    W6MSB

• Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi Mark, well yesterday with help from Michael we went through it with a newly installed demo version of HRD and it worked first time.... rebooted the computer and the radio to make sure it would all work after reboot and it failed again...

Like you I start HRD manually, then the logbook then digital Master.
    Only using two ports COM 4 for HRD and COM5 with PTT for digital master...

I've emailed HRD and they said they are going to get in touch and sort the problem out for me.... we'll wait and see... but something is certainly not right with the combination of HRD and a Flex... should not be having these issues as I run hrd on the 7600 with no problems for 6 years...
  • Mark - W6MSB
    Mark - W6MSB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Great. Feel free to pass along my name/call to the HRD folks if they need another user with the problem.

Just curious, did you try closing Logbook (leave HRD and DM780 running) to see if it made any difference? 
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi Mark, well.... as it happens I load everything manually and NOT loaded the HRD logbook it performed ok, once I had the logbook loaded was still working until I went into the program options of DM780 (dm780 is not responding) and went completely belly up!
    Lost it from the com port as well so something is not right....

Would not say it was 100% but better without the logbook loaded... I also opened a ticket with HRD, dunno if I will get any response.... as I also asked about the demo version as I am unable to save the edited macros or create a new one...

• Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited March 2017
    Just an update on this: HRD and the flex have been working, made 17 contacts including Brazil and the USA today. DM780 still hang's on quitting... Also the bad lag is still there... But a message I received today from Support at HRD today said.... ---> You using smartSDR? if so, that could be a bug in their beta code.. We've been working with Flex and they have HRD to test there, so it seems you are set up right on our end.<--- So do flex have HRD to try?
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I'm running 1.1.3 and HRD 6.2 beta on my 6500 with no problems.  I can even receive remotely using Teamviewer and Skype.  Haven't quite got the transmit figured out, but I don't do much on the digital modes.  From home I've made PSK31, RTTY, and Olivia contacts using DM780.  I've set up a virtual PTT port in SmartCat (5/15) and assigned that under the soundcard options in DM780 with RTS/DTS selected.  In DAX I activate both streams 1 & 2.  I use Stream 1 for DM780 and Stream 2 for the audio on Skype when I'm away from home like I am this week.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    We are working directly with the folks at HRD to determine where the issue lies.
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Thanks Tim, yes I know been in contact with HRD and corresponding with Greg at the moment... :-)
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi Rick, I'm only using the demo version (HRD) at present but the only way its seems to work ok without crashing is to load HRD, then DM780 and then the logbook, quitting is the reverse if I try to exit DM780 first I get the "Not responding" message....
    They are trying to sort out the problems and they have a 6.2.3 beta they are trying that has  an additional interface for the Flex 6000 series...

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    When I start HRD it goes through the same sequence....starting Radio Control, then DM780, then the logbook.  With the current versions I haven't had any problems closing and restarting DM780.  I don't use Radio Control, but it needs to be running to be able to be able to click on a DX Cluster spot and have the radio change to the spot frequency.

• Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited December 2016
    Thought I would add an update here, I replied a couple of days ago to an open ticket to Klaus explaining what I found.

I took the plunge and updated to a beta version of HRD and found that it actually worked better.

I am currently using release candidate 2 as I write this but still suffered with the problem of DM780 not changing the frequency, (took for ever to change) hence if I never noticed it my log would record the incorrect band, but by chance the other day I had all four slices open and found that it now works fine I tried this with 2,3 and 4 panadapters open and the frequency changes immediately if I revert back to just the one then the delay happens again... so for me and the options that I use it appears to be working ok if I have more than just the one panadapter open.

• Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Steve:

I had been a longtime HRD user.  I was familiar with it and I liked it.  I have had unsatisfactory experiences with a FLEX-6700 and HRD.  Now that you have paved the way it's time for me to return to the familiar and give it a try.

Thanks for leading the way.

Reg

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Reg,

If you like to call or email me; I am presently using HRD V6.2 in conjunction with my F6.7K. And I absolutely have NO issues operating all of HRD software and modules, such as DM780, rotor, logbook, cluster: Plus, I set another DAX channel to operate JT65/9.  The Frequency tracks and so does the mode.

If you are using other software other than SmartSDR, CAT, DAX, HRD v6.2 I do not want to waist your (or my) time. Two reason "why" I do not use it and second I do not want to learned them.

I can continue to tell you more, but I think that you rather be setting HRD in an operative mode instead.

I am in San Diego, CA on PDST...

• Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    RC2 does work quite a bit smoother, but I'm still having the same problem of having to open the programs in a particular order for everything to work without it getting hung up.

So, HRD then Logbook works fine
    HRD, Logbook then DM780 causes DM780 to hang.  This is annoying because if I'm working SSB, then decide to work some digital, I have to close my already open logbook, then open DM780, then open the logbook.  Then everything works just fine, no lags.

If I forget and open DM780 while the logbook is open, then I have to force close DM780, the logbook will close but is very laggy, and finally close HRD.  Then I have reopen them all again in the order that it wants: HRD, DM780 and finally logbook.

What a pain.  =/  When it works, there's nothing better, but you have to pet it a certain way so it's happy.
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi Reg, thanks for those kind words, I wouldn't say it's 100% but at present the way I use it now is ok for me.
    Steve
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi Michael, yes that old problem, to be honest not tried it that way with RC2... but as I normally only work digi modes its not a problem for me but will give it a go.. see if it screws up still...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.