Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is there any way to use the audio compressor with DAX audio input?

I am trying to have DAX audio pass through the audio compressor. It seems that by default, DAX bypasses the audio compressor (don't want to mess up any of those cute digital signals). I am trying to send voice  via DAX through the audio compressor (and perhaps the equalizer). Sounds like a basic question that I have missed.

Answers

• Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You haven't missed anything; the compressor and eq are bypassed for DAX.  AFAIK, there's no way to turn them back on.  Not sure what you're trying to do here, but I'm guessing you're trying to do some outboard digital processing or digital voice?  Workaround would be just to add a compressor and EQ to your audio chain.

With VAC on PSDR, you could run compression and EQ on your signals, but that was more of a detriment to me as I mainly run digital stuff.  Saving grace was TX profiles that I could set for digital that would make sure all that stuff was off.  

When TX profiles come to SSDR, I hope they give the option to turn it on and off that you are looking for.  SSDR is nowhere as configurable as PSDR, sadly this is being done in the name of "simplicity" (see my earlier post on asking for a gain control on the EQ).  If I'm buying a $7,000+ radio, I am not looking for simplicity, it's because I'm an experienced operator and would like all the bells and whistles and maybe more that I haven't thought of yet.  The "simplicity" mindset is the wrong way to go with this radio, IMNSHO.
  • Tim K8XS
    Tim K8XS Member
    edited February 2014
    I am trying to take audio from Skype into DAX TX1 (or 2 or 3...) and apply compression to it before it is transmitted. The audio directly from Skype into DAX TX1 sounds very "thin" when transmitted without any processing.

-Tim K8XS
  • Tim K8XS
    Tim K8XS Member
    edited February 2014
    I agree with your simplicity comment. If they want simplicity, let them buy an ICOM 718. I use 2 30" dual link monitors and a 42" flat panel to display my waveforms and controls. I would like every possible control exposed so that any adjustment is only a click away.  I lean toward the 747 cockpit model. If they are logically grouped, it would be possible to put a lock on a particular group to prevent accidental inadvertent adjustment.  That is why I bought a highly "technical capable" radio in the first place. If I wanted to operate an appliance, I would have bought a toaster.

Sorry, it is late and I couldn't resist.

-Tim K8XS
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Michael, I agree, and ultimately I think we will get more flexibility.  Right now, I think FRS is working on getting the main functions working up to desired specs, then I think we will see control functions ported out to the user.

I think TX/RX profiles may be one of the limiting factors here at present.  Once they get those functional, as in the PowerSDR rigs, the sky's the limit!

For the moment, users may look at some of the outboard software audio processors such as voice shaper, stereo tool, and many others.  They will allow a USB mike input and output their processed & EQ'd audio out to a DAX TX audio channel.  The penalty is in latency.  I have played with both Stereo Tool and voice shaper on my 6500 in the shack and it seems to have about 250 ms latency after all the processing and transfer via DAX.  Additional tweaking could be done to reduce the delay, but I was just playing around to see if it could be done and don't really need them.  The internal EQ and processing on the rig is better than anything I achieved with the software add-ons so far.  Remote users may find add-ons more helpful.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    DAX in its current configuration if intended for digital mode use only. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.