Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

High noise floor with SmartSDRv1.1

Jim
Jim Member

On installing and using SmartSDRv1.1, the radio exhibits a high noise floor on radio start up.  This happened twice, yesterday and today.  I power the radio down and wait for about 10 seconds after the power cycle is complete and restart the radio.  When I do this the noise floor comes back down to acceptable levels.  The noise floor at my QTH is nominal S4, but the high level was 10 over.  Strong signals could be detected through the high level, and this occurred on all bands.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it a known defect?  It's not too big of a pain as long as I know what is going on.

Jim Ball

WA1KMA

Answers

• KB5XE
    KB5XE Member
    edited February 2014
    I had this problem on my 6700, when I installed 1.1.  I  disconnected the antenna, and the S-9 noise was still there.  I took all programs out of my computer that Flex had installed. Reinstalled 1.1 and the problem went away.

Note: I even  downloaded 1.1 again, after having it from th gitgo.

Owen  KB5XE
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Rebooting the radio cleared it for me but it seems to eventually come back.  I don't know what is triggering it.

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Greg,

Have you tried a) power cycling the radio and b) resetting the radio to factory defaults (hold down the OK button when pressing the ON power switch) ?

I don't know what is causing this for you but in testing all the alpha releases for 1.1, I haven't experienced what you  describe.

Is this a 6500 or a 6700?

Stu K6TU

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Hi Stu.  I have had to do that a few times since the update.  I don't know what is triggering this but it almost makes the rig unusable, especially in a contest.  It doesn't happen very often but it does happen.  Maybe 3-4 times since the update.  
    Tnx
    Greg

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    6500 or 6700?
    Stu

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Sorry....6700

• Denley W3XY
    Denley W3XY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I experienced similar this morning with my 6700.  I had left the radio on monitoring 6 meters with my normal background noise level of -138 dBm (20 dB preamp on).  When I came back 30 minutes later, the background was at -105 dBm and it stayed at that level when I switched to the dummy load.  Restarting the client and radio didn't clear it.  I had to remove power from the radio and then restart it to clear the problem.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.