Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Interesting observation

Options
FLEX 6700 Interesting observation this evening. I have been using a 6 element quad for six meters. I was given a 5 element m2. So I wanted to do A/B test. My house is 70 feet long and runs North-South. The quad is on a 40ft rhon 25 tower on the North end. On the South end I have a 50 ft crank-up with my hexagonal beam. I have about equal runs of LMR-400 feeding each antenna. I took down the hex and put the M2 on the crank-up. When extended the m2 is within a foot of being the same height as the center of the quad. The Gulf Coast 6m net was tonight and the control is in MS (271 deg 172 miles, according to qrz) Band conditions were poor which was good for A/B testing. I was using headphones. Master speaker was set to 0. I opened one panadapter; rec antenna 1(Quad), pre-amp +30, agc med and mid scale. Headphone slider full left. I opened panadapter two; rec antenna 2(M2), pre-amp +30, agc med mid scale. Headphone slider full right. I did the A/B test by muting either the slice in panadaper one or two. I could tell no difference when listening to either one or two. I could hear the control station talking but intelligibility was only about 25% , however, when I had both un-muted intelligibility was near 50%. It was a very notable difference between listening to both vs either by them self. I did this back and forth over about a 15 min time period to minimize the effects of changing band conditions. My noise runs about S-3. My conclusion to this very un-scientific test is that somehow when listening to both, the noise was being cancelled. Anyone have any better explanation? If this is how diversity is going to work, I can't wait. 73 Roger

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I would be curious to see what the effect would be if you had both sliders at center...and carefully adjusted for a perfect balance. Would the noise actually cancel? or add? Just a thought...
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Your configuration is a basic form of "stereo" diversity reception. We have plans to provide even more advanced types of diversity reception in the future using some DSP techniques to present signals of interest to the operator with the best signal to noise ratio. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Dang, making me want to trade up to a 6700, now...
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have been receiving the VOA Radiogram for the last few weeks in this manner using both my G5RV and my 40 meter loop. It seems to work very well. It would be nice to receive it with one antenna on one fldigi and with two antennas on another fldigi. Maybe DAX with supply this capability.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.