Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR Preview Release v0.16.4 is available for download

Steve-N5AC
Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
SmartSDR v0.16.4 is now available for download for use with your FLEX-6700 and FLEX-6500 Signature Series SDR. Please follow the upgrade procedure below as there is a new version of SmartSDR CAT (v1.1.7) and if the upgrade procedure is not followed in the sequence described, you may have problems with the operation of the virtual com ports. Installing SmartSDR for Windows no longer installs SmartSDR CAT automatically due to a virtual com port driver dependency that requires SmartSDR CAT to be uninstalled and the PC rebooted before a SmartSDR CAT can be installed. Therefore please follow the upgrade procedure listed below. There are several sub-procedures described below that are outlined in greater detail in the SmartSDR v0.16.4 Release Notes. Make sure you review the Release Notes before updating the FLEX-6000 radio software and SmartSDR CAT. =============================== Upgrading SmartSDR for Windows =============================== 1.) Shut down SmartSDR for Windows if running. 2.) If SmartSDR CAT is running, close it too 3.) Power cycle the FLEX-6000 by pressing the front panel power button, waiting several seconds and then pressing it again to reboot the radio. Wait until the radio has finished booting before continuing. 4.) Run the SmartSDR v0.16.4 Installer: SmartSDR v0.16.4 5.) At the end of the installation process, display the release notes (A PDF reader is required) and run SmartSDR for Windows. 6.) You should see your FLEX-6000 in the chooser indicating that an upgrade is required. If you have never done a FLEX-6000 software upgrade, you may what to review the FLEX-6000 Upgrade procedure on page 7 in the Release Notes which can be also found in the Windows Start Menu -> FlexRadio Systems -> SmartSDR v0.16.4 -> Release Notes folder. 7.) After the FLEX-6000 software has upgraded, you should see the radio in the SmartSDR Radio Chooser indicating it is "Available". If after 5 minutes or so and you do not see the radio become "Available" (the yellow Update bard will have completely traversed to the right hand side), power off the radio using the Power button and power it back on. 8.) You can now run SmartSDR v0.16.4 ======================= Upgrading SmartSDR CAT ======================= 1.) If SmartSDR for Windows is running, shut it down now. 2.) Follow the procedure "Uninstalling SmartSDR CAT" starting on page 8 in the SmartSDR v0.15.13 Release Notes. Make sure to reboot the PC when done (this is very important). 3.) Follow the procedure "Installing SmartSDR CAT" starting on page 9 in the SmartSDR v0.15.13 Release Notes. 4.) Start SmartSDR CAT by selecting the SmartSDR CAT program from the Windows Start Menu -> FlexRadio Systems program folder 5.) If needed, configure the virtual com ports as per the SmartSDR CAT documentation ============================= Release Specific Information ============================= Please review the Known Issues, Caveats and Limitations section in the SmartSDR for Windows Release Notes on page 6 for a comprehensive listing of release specific information regarding the operation of your FLEX-6000 Signature Series SDR. ==================================== Where to Download SmartSDR v0.16.4 ==================================== SmartSDR for Windows v0.16.4 is a large download. It is approximately 81 MB in size. You can download SmartSDR for Windows from: SmartSDR v0.16.4 ========================================= New Features, Enhancements and Bug Fixes ========================================= Below is a list of new features, enhancements and bug fixes in SmartSDR v0.16.4 SmartSDR for Windows:
  • Major improvements in audio Compressor – will require readjusting existing audio settings
  • Resolved several defects related to using the ATU in CW code
  • Mode and preset filter button are properly illuminated when changed by the user or by a third-party client such as SmartSDR CAT
  • Added CW Sidetone slider in CW TX Control Panel to adjust the sidetone volume
  • Fixed a defect with CW sidetone delay
  • CW Left/Right paddle swap option added in the Radio Setup -> CW tab
  • Iambic A and B modes now available in the Radio Setup -> CW tab
  • CW Delay has been relocated to the Radio Setup -> CW tab
  • Fixed a TX Relay hot switching defect that occurred after changing from CW to SSB mode
  • Added ACC as an audio input option. Selecting LINE with ACC is no longer necessary to operate digital modes.
  • If using the ACC connector for operating digital modes, the audio from LINE and BAL are no longer mixed together (ACC must be selected as the input)
  • Fixed defect in CW Breakin Delay was not working properly
  • Fixed several defects in the NB, NR and ANF
  • VOX and VOX Delay have been added to the Phone TX Control panel
  • Fixed a defect where an audio artifact was heard when changing the AGC-T if AGC mode is OFF
  • Fixed several defects where sliders would display incorrect values and act erratically under certain circumstances
  • Fixed several defects where GUI controls did not reflect the actual control state after SmartSDR for Windows or the FLEX-6000 was restarted
  • Fixed defects were changing the audio input gain and compression level resulted in audio corruption
  • Optimized AGC Hangtime values for better AGC performance
  • Several improvements to reduce low-level spurs on transmit
  • Fixed a defect where RF Power slider settings could cause jumps in power output
  • Fixed a defect where double clicking on a band button would crash the radio
SmartSDR CAT has been upgraded to version 1.1.7
  • CAT: Fixed double listing defect on Serial Port tab
  • CAT Fixed rolling log appender defect, moved logs to appdata folder
  • CAT: Changed CAT form title to “SmartSDR CAT”
  • CAT: Added port pair and PTT info to virtual port display for previously defined ports
  • CAT: Program icon is now located on the Desktop for Win8

Comments

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Great I am leaving work right now to install. This is like the old power sdr days!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Whoo! Hoo! But I won't get home until 9 pm after a meeting.... Guess it will be a late night tonight!
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Great updates everyone! Looking forward to trying them out. 73 Greg
  • Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for the VOX...my thumb was getting tired!!!! Down loading now.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Note that VOX has some further refinements already that are not included in this release. We have reversed the operation of the VOX gain slider and have improved the resolution on the delay slider vs. what you will see in this release. The final v1.0 release will also have simultaneous peak/average metering on the mic and will have the compression meter enabled. We are already testing those enhancements here.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ok locked and loaded putting it through the paces. More persistence keep it up!
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Wonderful!
  • Rich K3SOM
    Rich K3SOM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Great news! This reminds me of the old SDR 1000 days.
  • Norbert
    Norbert Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    DJ7JC I'd no problems to download and install the both programs. Running DDutil V.3, CW Skimmer in the audio 3 kHz version, BandMaster, DM780 receiving only and N1MM CAT is running fine but no transmitting with the CW keys. Hope to complete in the next step the N1MM for using the F1-F12 keys for transmitting CW...PTT. And hope to be able to use the DM780 also for transmitting later with the VOX. Would be great to exchange experiences and also to get hints for N1MM/DM780 transmitting installations. Vy 73 Norbert www.DJ7JC.de Skype: JuliusCaesar1
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Simultaneous peak/average mic meter could be interesting in setting up compression? Compression metering will be a real plus. What scale will it be using? Percentage? dB of compression? I got very used to the dB compression meter on my TS-850, and knew that if I exceeded about 5 dB of compression (10 dB in a real pileup) I would begin to sound like the loudmouths on another band.
  • Nick
    Nick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I know this must be right in front of me but i dont see it. Where is the VOX button? Also, i understood that the compression level was set before this relesae so i never played with it in the past. After installing the upgrade I turned it off and set the mike level to just below the red line and then turned it on. I dont' see any change in the behavor of the audio level indicator which i woud l have expected to decrease. Also there is no compression indication at all. If it is adjustable can you tell us what the setting was in the prior releases? The audio reports were outstanding and I'd like to start from a know position. v.16.4, Heil Pr781, BAL Nick, KE5QY
  • Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This was discussed in another thread, I couldn't see the VOX controls either. I had to change my font text from large, to medium. Then I could see VOX below the EQ settings. I didn't need to change the resolution (1396 x 1080), but you might need too with other monitors. Dave, N9CHM
  • Nick
    Nick Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Wow! That really looks like it was added as an afterthought. I hope they will move it into the window with the other transmit controls. (Mike, compression, etc).
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have mine running on a 26 inch high def vizio. It did not show when I had it minimized but when I brought it to full screen it showed. I did not have to adjust the size of the text. It also shows when you do the half screen snap on windows seven.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.